Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Ratio

Ratio is a library to work with rational numbers (also known as ‘fractions’) in Elixir.

hex.pm version Documentation ci


A bit of history

Ratio has been around for a very long time. It was the first library I wrote when I started learning Elixir, with the first public release happening in March of 2016. (For Elixir v1.2. Oh, how the time flies!)

Throughout the years, my onlook on programming has changed a little, Elixir has changed a little, and the library changed to match.

From the start, Ratio allowed to use the <|> operator as shorthand notation to allow for a natural syntax like 1 <|> 2. Ratio also supported overloaded math operators, for the same reason.

This operator overloading was later moved to an ‘opt-in’ approach. Later, support was added to mix-and-match overloaded math operators for different kinds of number types, by extracting this functionality to the Numbers library.

Recently it came to my attention that <|> has been deprecated starting in Elixir v1.14.
And so, the library again had to slightly change.

Today

And this brings me to today. A release candidate for v4.0.0 of the library has been published to Hex.PM just now.
The important (backwards-incompatible) changes to v3.0.2 are:

  • Remove infix operator <|> as its usage is deprecated in Elixir v1.14.
  • Switch the Inspect implementation to use the form Ratio.new(10, 20) instead of 10 <|> 20.
  • Remove implementation of String.Chars, as the old implementation was not in a (non-programmer) human-readable format.

You can still use <|> or <~> (which is not deprecated in Elixir v1.14 and should stay around for a long time yet to come), by writing

defdelegate numerator <~> denominator, to: Ratio, as: :new

in your module.

For instance, here is an example of if you want to use the full opt-in syntactic sugary goodness:

defmodule IDoAlotOfMathHere do
  defdelegate numerator <~> denominator, to: Ratio, as: :new
  use Numbers, overload_operators: true

  def calculate(input) do
     num = input <~> 2
     result = num * 2 + (3 <~> 4) * 5.0
     result / 2
  end
end

iex> IDoAlotOfMathHere.calculate(42)
Ratio.new(183, 8)

Please try out the new release candidate of the library (by adding {:ratio, "4.0.0-rc.0"} to your deps), and let me know if you encounter any bugs or oddities!

~Marten / Qqwy

Showing Posts 1 to 1

Qqwy

Qqwy OP

TypeCheck Core Team

Release candidate 4.0.0-rc.1 has been released, which contains a fix for a regression where constructing a rational number from a decimal did not work.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews