Astarno

Astarno

Hey there,

I am currently experimenting with defining and using my own slightly adjusted receive macro, based on the default. As a classic example, let’s say I want to log every time a Process starts receiving a message from the mailbox. Could I define my own version of the receive macro that does the logging, then calls the default receive macro and import this custom receive into my existing code?

Below is a not-working example to better illustrate what I am trying to achieve:

defmodule MyWeirdReceive do
  def receive(args) do
    IO.puts "I just started receiving a message from the mailbox"
    Kernel.SpecialForms.receive(args)
  end
end


defmodule Stack do
  import Kernel, except: [receive: 1]
  import MyWeirdReceive
  def loop(state, ctr) do
    receive do
      {_from, :push, value} ->
        loop([value | state], ctr + 1)

      {from, :pop} ->
        [h | t] = state
        send(from, {:reply, h})
        loop(t, ctr)
    end

    loop(state, ctr)
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 1

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Unfortunately, receive isn’t a function. It isn’t even a macro - it’s a special form. From the Kernel.SpecialForms module doc:
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/caed7d1d3fe368564f7204680c89ae58c8d7303b/lib/elixir/lib/kernel/special_forms.ex#L3-L4

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews