dixi-sixi

dixi-sixi

I wonder, with recent movements in Java world into reactive world, it kinda got me that I don’t know anything about reactive support in Erlang/Elixir. So the question is, does Elixir provide it? I mean basically non-blocking data flows

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Keep in mind that “non blocking” means something totally different in Java than Elixir. If you have a thread in Java and you do blocking IO that takes a long time, or a CPU computation that uses a lot of resources for a while, this will entire block any other progress on that thread. If the thread also serves HTTP requests for example, any other request on that thread is gonna just timeout.

In Elixir however activities all end up happening on their own processes, and these processes do not block one another at all. So in a sense a non blocking data flow is essentially every data flow. If you find it blocks your current process, just put it in another process.

Reactive has some other connotations as well though, but it might be worth elaborating a bit on what it is you’re looking for.

idi527

idi527

Do you mean reactive as in Rx?

If so, see

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews