spacebat

spacebat

I have a belongs_to :definition relationship on a resource and can read all the resource instances belonging to a definition with:

    read :by_definition_id do
      argument :definition_id, :string
      filter expr(definition_id == ^arg(:definition_id))
    end

I figured it would be nice to have something like:

    read :by_definition do
      argument :definition, :map
      filter expr(definition_id == ^arg(:definition)[:id])
    end

However I can’t get this to compile, nor using .id or various other combinations. I just can’t seem to connect the definition argument’s id attribute to the filter expression.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

barnabasJ

barnabasJ

Ash Core Team

You might need to do it in a preparation to get to the value

    read :by_definition do
      argument :definition, :map

      prepare fn query, _ ->
        argument_definition_id = Ash.Query.get_argument(query, :definition)[:id]
        query
        |> Ash.Query.filter(definition_id == ^argument_definition_id) 
      end
    end
spacebat

spacebat OP

Thanks @barnabasJ that got me on the right track:

    require Ash.Query
    read :by_definition do
      argument :definition, :map

      prepare fn query, _context ->
        definition_id = Ash.Query.get_argument(query, :definition).id
        Ash.Query.filter(query, definition_id == ^definition_id)
      end
    end
spacebat

spacebat OP

Perhaps better - this works if I pass in either the definition.id or definition struct itself, though I wonder if there are problems here I’m not seeing, with the type :term being too broad. If I call it with 7 it does error out more or less as expected.

    read :by_definition do
      argument :definition, :term
      filter definition: arg(:definition)
    end
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Your original example actually has an interesting issue that comes down to how Elixir as a language works

filter expr(definition_id == ^arg(:definition)[:id])

maps to this

filter expr(definition_id == ^(arg(:definition)[:id]))

But that isn’t what you want. thing[:id] is a valid expression in Ash’s expression syntax. But to use it on something pinned, you need to add parenthesis

filter expr(definition_id == (^arg(:definition))[:id])

As for accepting multiple types, Ash has a built in union type for that. I wouldn’t suggest using :term in general, but it is there to be an escape hatch for cases where it matters.

    read :by_definition do
      argument :definition, :union do
        allow_nil? false
        constraints [
         types: [
           definition: [type: :struct, constraints: [instance_of: Definition]],
           definition_id: [type: :uuid]
         ]
       ]
      end

      prepare fn query, _ ->
        definition_id = 
          case query.arguments.definition do
            %Ash.Union{type: :definition_id, value: definition_id} -> definition_id
            %Ash.Union{type: :definition, value: %{id: definition_id}} -> definition_id
          end

        Ash.Query.filter(query, definition_id == ^definition_id
     end
  end

It is a bit verbose, but there are ways to shrink it down and/or extract it into something reusable.

spacebat

spacebat OP

Just a bit verbose :slight_smile: it seems like good ergonomics to also accept a struct of the right type with an id, anywhere that an id is expected.

Thanks for the Ash.Union example, I was looking at it ealier but couldn’t figure out how to use it.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Yeah, we’ve discussed adding a built in type (although a custom one could also easily be constructed), like:

argument :thing, :struct_or_id, constraints: [for: TargetResource]

But ultimately actions being well typed is pretty important, so it would always have to come from a specially typed argument, not like magically inferred from how the argument is used.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

If this was something you wanted to be able to use throughout your application, you could define a custom type and a custom preparation and get pretty elegant usage:

    read :by_definition do
      # you can get custom short names with a configuration, so you can do this w/o anything built into ash
      argument :thing, :struct_or_id, constraints: [for: TargetResource]

      # you can import functions that return `{Module, opts}`, just like builtins
      prepare filter_by_struct_or_id(:definition_id, :thing)
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews