superchris

superchris

I’m sure this must be a trivial thing to do, but in looking through the documentation so far I have not figured this out. I’m trying to make a simple read action that does a substring search and the syntax is just not clear to me. Feel free to RTFM me, but please point me to the right place in the docs :slight_smile:

Here’s what I’ve tried:

    read :query do
      argument :query, :string, allow_nil?: false

      filter expr(contains(name, ^arg[:query]))
    end

This fails compilation with undefined function contains/2 (there is no such import)

Showing Posts 1 to 5

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

:thinking:pretty sure that’s exactly how you do it. Is the read action accidentally outside of the actions block perhaps?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Oh, wait it’s ^arg(:query)

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Doesn’t explain the error about contains/2 though

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

As for documentation:

Examples in Ash.Query docs: Ash.Query — ash v3.29.3

Examples in the Ash.Resource DSL docs: Ash.Resource — ash v3.29.3

Expression reference: Expressions — ash v3.29.3

superchris

superchris OP

Yup, this was it! Derp. I need to pair more :wink:

The contains thing was weird though. I swear I copied that from the terminal, but when I put the code back to what I had, now I get much more helpful error about undefined variable arg. At least that probably would have pointed me in the right direction.

For posterity, this worked like a champ:

    read :query do
      argument :query, :string, allow_nil?: false

      filter expr(contains(string_downcase(name), string_downcase(^arg(:query))))
    end

I’m sure this can be cleaned up a little, but in case someone stumbles upon this looking for the example I was looking for its a start.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews