wmnnd

wmnnd

Apparently Credo considers single-clause with statements with an else branch a readability issue. I’m curious, what’s everybody’s opinion on this?

I think with can actually help readability when implementing a function with a “happy path”:

with {:ok, yay} <- something() do
  this_is_the_happy_path(yay)
else
  {:error, reason} -> handle_error(reason)
end

The alternative is, of course, to use good ol’ case:

case something() do
  {:ok, yay} ->
    this_is_the_happy_path(yay)

  {:error, reason} ->
    handle_error(reason)
end

Which option do you find more readable?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Personal $0.02: For single clauses the case is 100% better because the patterns all line line up and stand out better.

stevensonmt

stevensonmt

I would say more like 90% better just because I can appreciate a possible style guide that mandates with statements for consistent error handling. So that way you can easily identify functions that can return an error versus those that just return values that trigger conditional flow.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I prefer the case as well, it’s much more natural (in the sense that even without knowing programming you would more likely be able to make sense of it) :smiley:

tomekowal

tomekowal

Funnily enough. The same topic popped in recently when we were upgrading a quite old credo version.
We decided to get rid of the rule.

For me, it depends.

We have a bunch of modules where all the functions are pipelines and only one of them had a single case:

defmodule A do
  def a do
    with {:ok, a} <- do_a(),
      {:ok, b} <- do_b() do
      {:ok, b}
    end
  end

  def b do
    with {:ok, c} <- do_c(),
      {:ok, d} <- do_d() do
      {:ok, d}
    end
  end

  def c do
    with {:ok, e} <- do_e() do
      {:ok, e}
    end
  end
end

The rule that a single-case with statement should always be rewritten to case did not make much sense in that scenario. Other than consistency, I always pitch for using the simplest tool for the job. Case is simpler than with.

cmo

cmo

Yes, if there is no else I use with but a single with/else should be a case in my mind.

pdgonzalez872

pdgonzalez872

I’ve seen matching in the success case work fairly well. So, your:

with {:ok, yay} <- something() do
  this_is_the_happy_path(yay)
else
  {:error, reason} -> handle_error(reason)
end

would become:

with {:ok, yay} <- something(),
     {:ok, _} = success <- this_is_the_happy_path(yay) do
    # do something here, usually log, maybe increment metrics
    success
else
  {:error, reason} -> handle_error(reason)
end
D4no0

D4no0

I agree with your case, I would also change credo rules. In my opinion credo is a universal tool, for beginners they should follow guidelines from default config, for advanced users they should tailor the rules for their needs. Credo saved me countless times when I was working with newbies, instead of me personally telling them when to use if or case or when, credo would guide them into a decent style, from there I could explain them the things that credo didn’t cover.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews