hakarabakara

hakarabakara

I’m unable to get my application to read an environment variable set on Ubuntu. I keep getting the message below:

** (ArgumentError) could not fetch environment variable "VARIABLE" because it is not set

This is what I have in my prod.exs variable: System.get_env("VARIABLE") || "${VARIABLE}"

I then try to run my application as below

RELX_REPLACE_OS_VARS=true /home/app/prod/rel/my_app/bin/my_app start

I’ve looked everywhere but tutorials either seem mostly to lean towards Phoenix which I do not have in my application or using an additional dependency which I am not too inclined to do

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

Are you using relx to build your releases? Or distillery? Or the new elixir releases?

hakarabakara

hakarabakara OP

I’m using the new elixir releases, I’m following this documentation. hexdox mix task release

Here’s my compilation script on the server

git pull origin cd ~/deploy/my_app MIX_ENV=prod mix deps.get --only prod && MIX_ENV=prod mix clean && MIX_ENV=prod mix compile && sudo MIX_ENV=prod mix release my_app &&

NobbZ

NobbZ

For a release you should just do System.get_env/1 in the config/release.exs, that’s it.

Or a config provider.

It is not clear what you are doing and in which file.

To be honest, so far I have not seen the error you are citing.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

RELX_REPLACE_OS_VARS is a very old environment variable, it was changed to REPLACE_OS_VARS=true a while ago, maybe that will help?

Generally though you want to switch to using a releases.exs file as described here: mix release — Mix v1.20.2

hakarabakara

hakarabakara OP

I tried that and I’m getting a nil which is very strange

NobbZ

NobbZ

Can you reproduce it in a minimal project on GitHub and provide explanation how you build and run it in the README?

hakarabakara

hakarabakara OP

Thank you, this is my first elixir project hence the mis-steps. I’ve removed all the references and the rest is per the tutorial suggested.

hakarabakara

hakarabakara OP

Okay, let me do it

hakarabakara

hakarabakara OP

I realised git will not necessarily illustrate my problem so let me try to be articulate as possible. Here’s my releases.exs

import Config

config :my_app,
  secret_key_base: System.fetch_env!("SECRET_KEY_BASE"),
  variable: System.fetch_env!("VARIABLE") #or System.get_env("VARIABLE")

In my function,

System.get_env("VARIABLE") # Nil
Application.get_env(:my_app, :variable) #NIL
System.fetch_env!("VARIABLE") #{"init terminating in do_boot",{#{'__exception__'=>true,'__struct__'=>'Elixir.ArgumentError',message=><<"could not fetch environment variable \"VARIABLE\" because it is not set">>}

However, printenv in Ubuntu and nano /etc/environment show the environment variable VARIABLE set

Another strange thing is that when I go into the interactive shell iex, System.get_env("VARIABLE") prints out the value

NobbZ

NobbZ

Do you start the app in the very same terminal as you do the printenv? Do you rebuild your app after changing the config?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews