hogihung

hogihung

I am trying to install Elixir on a new server. The servers is running Oracle Linux (Redhat) 6. I get the following error:

 [root@inara elixir]# make clean test
cd lib/elixir && "/tmp/elixir/rebar" clean
/bin/sh: /tmp/elixir/rebar: Permission denied
make: *** [clean] Error 126
[root@inara elixir]#
[root@inara elixir]# uname -a
Linux inara 2.6.39-400.290.2.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 18 10:05:15 PST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@inara elixir]# 

I tried compiling with both Erlang 20 and 19. Any suggestions?

Hogi…

Showing Posts 1 to 5

NobbZ

NobbZ

My first guess is that the file /tmp/elicir/rebar is not executable.

Please use ls -l /tmp/elixir/rebar to check. In the first colum of the output there should be -rwxr-xr-x. If the xs are missing, please use chmod 755 /tmp/elixir/rebar to make it executable.


But may I ask how you got the sources? When pulling from the git-repository or when downloading the tarballs, executable should be set already.

hogihung

hogihung OP

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that this image of the VM was using a umask of 0077 which could mess with the permissions. I rebuilt the VM and changed the umask to 022 and tried again. But I’m running into the same issues:

cd /tmp
git clone https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir.git
cd elixir
make clean test

[root@localhost elixir]# make clean test
cd lib/elixir && "/tmp/elixir/rebar" clean
/bin/sh: /tmp/elixir/rebar: Permission denied
make: *** [clean] Error 126
[root@localhost elixir]#

[root@localhost elixir]# ls -la

drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:39 .
drwxrwxrwt. 4 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:38 ..
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    373 Sep 10 13:39 .appveyor.yml
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:39 bin
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    780 Sep 10 13:39 CHANGELOG.md
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root   3675 Sep 10 13:39 CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
drwxr-xr-x. 8 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:39 .git
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root     50 Sep 10 13:39 .gitattributes
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    222 Sep 10 13:39 .gitignore
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    507 Sep 10 13:39 ISSUE_TEMPLATE.md
drwxr-xr-x. 8 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:39 lib
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  11343 Sep 10 13:39 LICENSE
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root   9740 Sep 10 13:39 Makefile
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:39 man
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    825 Sep 10 13:39 NOTICE
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root   7229 Sep 10 13:39 README.md
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 164740 Sep 10 13:39 rebar
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 530454 Sep 10 13:39 rebar3
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    674 Sep 10 13:39 rebar.config
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root   1232 Sep 10 13:39 RELEASE.md
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root   4096 Sep 10 13:39 src
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root    575 Sep 10 13:39 .travis.yml
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root      9 Sep 10 13:39 VERSION
[root@localhost elixir]#

[root@localhost elixir]# erl --version
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.0] [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [ds:2:2:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V9.0  (abort with ^G)
1>

[root@localhost elixir]# uname -a
Linux inara 2.6.39-400.290.2.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 18 10:05:15 PST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@localhost elixir]#

Just for grins and giggles I manually chmod 755 the rebar file but the result is the same. :frowning:

Hogi…

NobbZ

NobbZ

Can you run that rebar manually? ./rebar --version?

edit
I had something similar ages ago. Please check if env is available in $PATH, especially when you installed a minimal VM it might be missing… If I’m right here, you might need to find the correct package on your own…

hogihung

hogihung OP

[root@inara elixir]# ./rebar --version
-bash: ./rebar: Permission denied
[root@inara elixir]#

It does appear that the umask of 077 may have been the issue. While I’m still having an error as the root user, even after logging out and back in, I was able to do the following as my users:

cd /tmp
mkdir elixir
cd elixir
wget https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/archive/v1.4.5.tar.gz
gunzip v1.4.5.tar.gz
tar -xvf v1.4.5.tar
cd elixir-1.4.5/
make clean test
sudo make install

[jfhogarty@inara tmp]$ iex
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.0] [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [ds:2:2:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Interactive Elixir (1.4.5) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)>

I continue to have the permissions problems if I clone the repo, either as root or as a user.

hogihung

hogihung OP

Ok, first thank you NobbZ as your responses got me thinking in the correct direction. I found the problem which is two fold.

  1. This base VM (which is a standard where I work) had a umask of 0077.
  2. The /tmp directory seems to have some special permissions

The error message had me looking in the wrong direction. I have now been able to, as booth root and a user, download/git clone both 1.4.5 and 1.5.x and compile. What I needed to do was to download/clone the files into a different directory as /tmp permissions were the issue.

Hogi…

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews