vrod

vrod

I have something that takes a long time, so I used Task.start_link/1 in production so the user will not wait for this to complete (it’s ok if it takes a long time)

Task.start_link(fn -> do_work() end)

However, do_work is a private function and I want to test that the output is correct. Is there a way I can read the output of this? I cannot use Task.async and Task.await in production because I cannot block execution.

I think the easy solution is make do_work public, but I want to know more about processes. Is it possible to read return value?

Thanks you in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 3

ityonemo

ityonemo

Task.start* is for things where you don’t care about the return.

Are you testing the function return, or function side effects?

Also note that start_link will cause your processes to be linked, so be sure you’re ok with the user process dying resulting in the task being cancelled, potentially in a strange place. Otherwise, use Task.Supervisor.

vrod

vrod OP

I want to test the function output… mabye side effects too. This is for telemetry event handler - I want to know my code has executed.

h9e

h9e

You can create a simple wrapper module that depends on your mix environment to invoke the function (by call Kernel.apply/3 in test env), or to call Task.start_link (in prod env). Such that when running unit test, you can assert the result of do_work().

For example:

defmodule Hello.TaskWrapper do
   def start_link(module, func, args) do
    if Mix.env() == :test do
      apply(module, func, args)
    else
      Task.start_link(module, func, args)
    end
  end
end

Then in your code, you can use it like

arguments = []
Hello.TaskWrapper.start_link(__MODULE__, :do_work, arguments)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews