dave0

dave0

Hi, I’m trying to test a live_file_input and everything seems to work, but I’m getting a weird error, specifically:

[error] Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient #PID<0.776.0> received unexpected message in handle_info/2: :garbage_collect

If I blow away my _build, I also get this error on the first run (but not subsequent runs):

[error] Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient #PID<0.7054.0> received unexpected message in handle_info/2: {:socket_close, #PID<0.7055.0>, {:shutdown, :closed}}

My form is simply the live_file_input along with a submit button. The error happens when submitting the form (render_submit). However, the test will continue and complete successfully.

How would I go about debugging this or getting rid of the error? Currently using version 0.15.4.

The only issue I could find that’s remotely related is the following, but that seems to be taken care of already:

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/issues/1269

The Test

defmodule MyAppWeb.Settings.ProfileLiveTest do
  use MyAppWeb.ConnCase

  import Phoenix.LiveViewTest

  setup :register_and_log_in_user

  test "GET /settings/profile/update_avatar", %{conn: conn} do
    {:ok, index_live, html} = live(conn, Routes.settings_profile_path(conn, :index))
    assert html =~ "gravatar"
    refute html =~ "Progress:"

    avatar = file_input(index_live, "#change-avatar-form", :avatar, [%{
      last_modified: 1_594_171_879_000,
      name: "elixir.png",
      content: File.read!("test/support/files/elixir.png"),
      size: 8_290,
      type: "image/png"
    }])

    assert render_upload(avatar, "elixir.png") =~ "Progress:"
    assert %{"elixir.png" => _channel_pid} = Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient.channel_pids(avatar)

    submitted_form =
      index_live
      |> form("#change-avatar-form")
      |> render_submit()

    refute submitted_form =~ "gravatar"
  end
end

Test Output (clean)

➜  mix test

21:59:21.548 [error] Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient #PID<0.7054.0> received unexpected message in handle_info/2: :garbage_collect

21:59:21.569 [error] Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient #PID<0.7054.0> received unexpected message in handle_info/2: {:socket_close, #PID<0.7055.0>, {:shutdown, :closed}}

.

Finished in 0.6 seconds
1 test, 0 failures

Randomized with seed 445784

Test Output

➜  mix test

21:44:48.667 [error] Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient #PID<0.776.0> received unexpected message in handle_info/2: :garbage_collect

.

Finished in 0.8 seconds
1 test, 0 failures

Randomized with seed 485533

Showing Posts 1 to 6

brandynbennett

brandynbennett

I’m also experiencing this issue. Would like to able to test my submit logic after the upload is consumed, but have been tripped up by this issue.

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

I’m experiencing the same issue. The test passes, but gives an error in red:

15:05:45.708 [error] Phoenix.LiveViewTest.UploadClient #PID<0.571.0> received unexpected message in handle_info/2: :garbage_collect

The code in question is mostly copy/paste from Phoenix.LiveViewTest.file_input/4:

{:ok, view, _html} = live(conn, "/")
view |> element("#user-menu-settings") |> render_click
refute render(view) =~ "100%"

avatar =
  file_input(view, "#change-user-avatar-form", :avatar, [
    %{
      last_modified: 1_594_171_879_000,
      name: "elixir.png",
      content: File.read!("test/support/fixtures/elixir.png"),
      size: 2_118,
      type: "image/png"
    }])

assert render_upload(avatar, "elixir.png") =~ "100%"

Is this working as intended? If so, what is the official way of handling this kind of test so there is no error displayed?

mcrumm

mcrumm

Phoenix Core Team

The :garbage_collect messages should be suppressed as of v0.15.5 which was just released :slight_smile:

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Indeed they are - thanks!

megalithic

megalithic

Might this still be happening with LiveView 0.19.x? We’re hitting this with tests instrumenting UploadClient

hudsonbay

hudsonbay

It still happens to me on:

   {:phoenix_live_view, "~> 0.17.11"},
   {:phoenix, "~> 1.6.11"},
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews