zeroexcuses

zeroexcuses

GoLang has a http server built into it’s stdlib.
Elixir has Phoenix/Cowboy.

Suppose I am looking for a dumb simple http server where:

  1. I need it to serve static files
  2. if I need to do any routing, I’ll parse the http URL myself

What is recommended?

I am looking for a minimal http server where it has the basics and I can understand all the features fully.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

dorgan

dorgan

The most barebones may be this HTTP server — OTP 29.0.2 (inets 9.7.1)

As for recommended, considering you’re using Elixir, I’d say Plug v1.20.2 — Documentation with GitHub - elixir-plug/plug_cowboy: Plug adapter for the Cowboy web server · GitHub, but that escapes your requirements I’m afraid.

Depends on how much time you want to spend on it and how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go I guess. Unless you want to know how exactly does cowboy work, plug is super simple.

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

What do you consider basics?

zeroexcuses

zeroexcuses OP

Just these:

Cochonours

Cochonours

Just an idea, but if you don’t need to do any special processing, wouldn’t using nginx or caddy be more than enough for you?

zeroexcuses

zeroexcuses OP

I am looking for small, programmable components. Nginx/Caddy are harder to program compared to builtin Elixir/Erlang libs.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

You might want to check out bandit as an alternative to Cowboy. It should be simpler to understand although it is much less battle tested.

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

I like elli (GitHub - elli-lib/elli: Simple, robust and performant Erlang web server · GitHub) which I’ve used in erlang many times. It is OK to use from elixir as well. In my opinion it is very easy to understand. The implementation is very readable (if you read erlang).

It just does the basics though and you must be prepared to add some middleware or write your own if you need more functionality.

To get started (well, you should read the README.md from their github and follow any links. One of the best things as well is to look in the source for the example callback. I find it is the best place to look to see what is possible):

in mix.exs add {:elli, "~> 3.3.0"} to dependencies.

Write a simple call back module to handle your requests:

defmodule YourApp.ElliHandler do
  @behaviour :elli_handler
  @staticpath "/some/good/path"
  @impl :elli_handler
  @doc """
  The handle/2 function is one of the callbacks.
  It takes the request and returns a response.
  
  It can serve static files via sendfile by just
  returning {:ok, [], {:file, filename}}
  """
  def handle(req, _args) do
    # Split up the method and path and delegate to other functions
    # which uses pattern matching to match on the path. The path
    # is a list of parts of the url split by "/"
    handle(:elli_request.method(req), :elli_request.path(req), req)
  end

  @doc """
  If the paths is /static/<filename>. Serve the file if it exists
  TODO: fix content-type
  """
  defp handle(:'GET', ["static", filename], _req) do
    path = File.join(@staticpath, filename)
    if File.exists(path) do
      {:ok, [], {:file, path}}
    else
      {404, [], "Not Found"}
    end
  end
  defp handle(:'GET', ["dynamic", "user", id], _req) do
    {:ok, [{"Content-Type", "plain/text"}], "User is #{id}"}
  end
  defp handle(_, _, _req) do
    {404, [], "Not Found"}
  end

  @impl :elli_handler
  @doc """
  Will be called during many events of the request cycle. Can be used to hook in to many things
  or not be used at all.
  """
  def handle_event(_event, _data, _args) do
    :ok
  end
end

And hook it up in your supervision tree:

  @impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      %{
        id: :elli,
        start: {:elli, :start_link, [ [ callback: YourApp.ElliHandler, port: 3000  ]]}
      }
    ]
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: YourApp.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Single file Phoenix server: phoenix.exs · GitHub.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews