smon

smon

I am experimenting with live view uploads for the first time, and I was wondering what is the recommended way of doing customized upload validations.

My simple example: I have an interface to upload files to a certain directory, and I want to warn the users of duplicate file names in their upload before they hit the submit button. My consume_uploaded_entries/3 would catch these cases, but I am expecting larger files being uploaded, so some feedback earlier would be nice.

So I could evaluate my uploads assign against a list of existing files by…
… setting :valid to false in the appropriate Phoenix.LiveView.UploadEntry structs.
… generating an appropriate error list for errors in the Phoenix.LiveView.UploadConfig struct.

It feels a little bit like screwing around with Phoenix LiveView implementation internals. Is this the way to do it? Did I miss some kind of helper function?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

smon

smon OP

I tried to implement my own entry validation, as described above, by extending the handle_info/3 that reacts to form changes.

See Uploads — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5

But now I bumped into the issue: After evaluating the affected entries and setting appropriate errors, I am not allowed to use re-assign/3 the :upload key because it is a “reserved” one:

** (ArgumentError) :uploads is a reserved assign by LiveView and it cannot be set directly
    (phoenix_live_view 1.0.0-rc.6) lib/phoenix_component.ex:1324: Phoenix.Component.validate_assign_key!/1
    (phoenix_live_view 1.0.0-rc.6) lib/phoenix_component.ex:1275: Phoenix.Component.assign/3

So my initial reaction proved somewhat right: The LiveView authors do not want me to prod around in those internals. :stuck_out_tongue:

But: What can I do now? What seems to be missing is an option for allow_uploads/3 for passing a custom validator function.

smon

smon OP

Ok, I got it working by not using assign/3 which is a bit frightening. For anyone daring enough, here is the implementation.

My customized handle_event/3 looks like this.

def handle_event(
      "validate_selected_images",
      _params,
      %{
        assigns: %{
          uploads: %{images: selected_images} = uploads,
          existing_files: existing_files
        }
      } =
        socket
    ) do

  existing_names =
    Enum.map(existing_files, fn entry ->
      entry.file_name
    end)

  checked_images = mark_duplicate_names(selected_images, existing_names)

  assigns = Map.put(socket.assigns, :uploads, Map.put(uploads, :images, checked_images))

  {
    :noreply,
    Map.put(socket, :assigns, assigns)
  }
end

Here existing_files is a list containing application specific metadata structs. As you can see I use Map.put/3 to hack my way around the “reserved assign” restriction.

The function mark_duplicate_names/2 looks like this:

defp mark_duplicate_names(%Phoenix.LiveView.UploadConfig{} = upload, existing_names) do
  processed_entries =
    upload.entries
    |> Enum.map(fn %Phoenix.LiveView.UploadEntry{} =
                      entry ->
      if entry.client_name in existing_names do
        Map.put(entry, :valid?, false)
      else
        entry
      end
    end)

  upload
  |> Map.put(:entries, processed_entries) # replace file entries
  |> Map.put(
    :errors,
    Enum.map(processed_entries, fn %Phoenix.LiveView.UploadEntry{} = entry ->
      if entry.valid? do
        nil
      else
        {entry.ref, :name_duplicate}
      end
    end)
    |> Enum.reject(fn val -> is_nil(val) end) # create a list of error tuples for all entries with error
  )
end

Finally I implement a fourth error_to_string/1 function:

defp error_to_string(:name_duplicate), do: "A file with this name already exists"
smon

smon OP

Small update: In order to preserve the errors that got returned by Phoenix’ standard evaluation (size, type, upload count issues), I had to modify the function slightly.

defp mark_duplicate_names(%Phoenix.LiveView.UploadConfig{} = upload, existing_names) do
  processed_entries =
    upload.entries
    |> Enum.map(fn %Phoenix.LiveView.UploadEntry{} =
                      entry ->
      if entry.client_name in existing_names do
        Map.put(entry, :valid?, false)
      else
        entry
      end
    end)

  duplicate_name_errors =
    Enum.map(processed_entries, fn %Phoenix.LiveView.UploadEntry{} = entry ->
      previous_error? = Enum.any?(upload.errors, fn {ref, _msg} -> ref == entry.ref end)

      if entry.valid? or previous_error? do
        nil
      else
        {entry.ref, :name_duplicate}
      end
    end)
    |> Enum.reject(fn val -> is_nil(val) end)

  # Combine existing errors with additional ones evaluated here.
  errors = upload.errors ++ duplicate_name_errors

  upload
  |> Map.put(:entries, processed_entries)
  |> Map.put(:errors, errors)
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews