acrolink
Hello,
I am looking for experiences / recommendations on worry-free managed PostgreSQL hosting with limitless and effortless horizontal scaling features.
Thank you.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Supabase? Neon.tech?
benwilson512
Postgres isn’t a technology that does any of those things, at least not all together. It does not effortlessly scale horizontally, and certainly not without limits.
Don’t get me wrong, Postgres is amazing. And its vertical scaling will get you a long long way. But what you’re asking for isn’t a matter of vendor, it’s a matter of Postgres not being designed to be a horizontally scalable DB.
acrolink
I should have mentioned that I will have to make queries based on geographical coordinates. I understand that
Postgisextension can handle that. There will be hundreds of thousands of locations to scan, based on coordinates.I have looked into AWS serverless PostgreSQL (Aurora), I think I can start with that. At some point I will have to implement sharding, which can be done at application level.
Do you know of any other DB system that can be horizontally scalable ?
benwilson512
A few hundred K points is well within even a small regular Postgres installation. We have IoT data with billions of data points in Postgres and it’s still humming along. I think people underestimate how far you can get without “horizontal” scale at the DB level these days.
Aurora is interesting. You do gain certain kinds of scale, but it’s also a lot of $$$ at smaller scales compared to what a good old fashioned Postgres install will do, and you’ll miss out on other extensions.
Again in particular for databases unless you have expertise already in some of the distributed options I just don’t see a good ROI on choosing them over Postgres.
garrison
NewSQL? Cloud Spanner, CockroachDB, YugabyteDB, TiDB, PlanetScale, YDB, Aurora DSQL.
Spanner is the only one that offers reasonable consistency guarantees (subject to my personal opinion). Cockroach is the most complete of the non-cloud options, but is closed source. Yugabyte and TiDB are not as complete as Cockroach from what I remember. PlanetScale is not a real NewSQL DB, it’s really Vitess, a MySQL auto-sharding layer which is the only “database” ever to escape from Google (unless you count LevelDB, which I wouldn’t). YDB escaped from Yandex (like ClickHouse). Finally, Aurora DSQL literally just came out (it’s AWS).
If the alternative is sharded Postgres then consistency guarantees are obviously off the table anyway. But in that case also check out Citus, which is a Postgres auto-sharding layer like Vitess.
You really shouldn’t bother with any of these, though. None of them are worth the risk versus Postgres, which will probably scale well enough for you anyway as mentioned above!
garrison
Can anyone confirm whether Aurora actually scales further (vertically) than vanilla Postgres? I understand they replaced the storage engine, so I would expect better performance (not like Postgres’s storage engine is hard to beat…), but I’ve also seen complaints about latency due to the replication (on this very forum, even).
I would imagine the main benefit of Aurora is easy operation (AWS’s bread and butter I suppose), since you don’t need to deal with failover etc because the DB is sanely replicated at the storage level. Also, the architecture probably lends itself better to read replica scaling (but they still can’t guarantee proper consistency from what I understand).
All of the above should apply to Neon too, I think, since the architecture is similar (disaggregated storage).
hauleth
Are you sure that you will need that at all? Because I see that people often say that then need “scale” when their project could fit RPi with room to spare.
brightball
Crunchydata is fantastic.
Most extensions, high performance, newest versions available almost immediately when they come out and a team of experts you can lean on if you have unique challenges.
Works with multiple infrastructure providers as well.
Depending on your data model, you can also run the Citus extension to horizontally scale any multitenant Postgres DB fairly effortlessly. It’s impressive.
Highly recommend.
acrolink
I see they have two solutions:
Crunchy Postgres&Crunchy Postgres for KubernetesWhich one you recommend ? or have more experience with ?
brightball
The offerings are all essentially the same thing, just a matter of where it’s being deployed.
For fully managed, I use Crunchy Bridge.