Recording Telemetry for Elixir/Phoenix Applications for performance comparisons

I am looking for a way for benchmarking and recording the metrics from a Phoenix/Elixir App as part of my prototyping/development process. I’d like to record and compare test runs against each other to see how they perform between iterations. Ideally, I could export the metrics to .csv or a .json file and import them into Pandas/Seaborn for visualization (or even possibly LiveBook). benchee is great, but it fits better for benchmarking specific functions or modules instead of a whole application. I’ve been looking at beamchmark, but it sort of relies on setting up things in a .exs file as a scenario.

My goal is to be able to compare and visualize changes to see if there is performance improvements. For Example:

• Test Run 1:
    • vm.memory.total
    • vm.total_run_queue_lengths.cpu
    • … other metrics and custom telemetry
  • Test Run 2:
    • vm.memory.total
    • vm.total_run_queue_lengths.cpu
    • … other metrics and custom telemetry

What I am considering as an approach is to record some of the metrics produced from phoenix_live_dashboard or [:telemetry] and log them to a file for the test run. Exporting the telemetry via the Prometheus Exporter prom_ex packages all the data points nicely, but I’d need to scrape them using Prometheus and record to a file. Alternatively, I was considering using the telemetry_influxdb telemetry reporter to InfluxDB to record the Telemetry events.

The reason I am initially considering logging things to a file is that it seems like it is easier to manipulate, review and analyze after test runs, although I’m open to other ideas on what might enable easier/better analysis for rapid iterations during the development cycle.

Additionally, are there any examples of using performance metrics in test suites?

1 Like

Not answering your question in full, but I think you can roll your own telemetry reporter pretty easily - you should be able to easily extend the provided console reporter. The link to the sources is broken, so I’m posting it here: telemetry_metrics/console_reporter.ex at main · beam-telemetry/telemetry_metrics · GitHub

1 Like