kickinespresso

kickinespresso

I am looking for a way for benchmarking and recording the metrics from a Phoenix/Elixir App as part of my prototyping/development process. I’d like to record and compare test runs against each other to see how they perform between iterations. Ideally, I could export the metrics to .csv or a .json file and import them into Pandas/Seaborn for visualization (or even possibly LiveBook). benchee is great, but it fits better for benchmarking specific functions or modules instead of a whole application. I’ve been looking at beamchmark, but it sort of relies on setting up things in a .exs file as a scenario.

My goal is to be able to compare and visualize changes to see if there is performance improvements. For Example:

  • Test Run 1:
    • vm.memory.total
    • vm.total_run_queue_lengths.cpu
    • … other metrics and custom telemetry
  • Test Run 2:
    • vm.memory.total
    • vm.total_run_queue_lengths.cpu
    • … other metrics and custom telemetry

What I am considering as an approach is to record some of the metrics produced from phoenix_live_dashboard or [:telemetry] and log them to a file for the test run. Exporting the telemetry via the Prometheus Exporter prom_ex packages all the data points nicely, but I’d need to scrape them using Prometheus and record to a file. Alternatively, I was considering using the telemetry_influxdb telemetry reporter to InfluxDB to record the Telemetry events.

The reason I am initially considering logging things to a file is that it seems like it is easier to manipulate, review and analyze after test runs, although I’m open to other ideas on what might enable easier/better analysis for rapid iterations during the development cycle.

Additionally, are there any examples of using performance metrics in test suites?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Not answering your question in full, but I think you can roll your own telemetry reporter pretty easily - you should be able to easily extend the provided console reporter. The link to the sources is broken, so I’m posting it here: telemetry_metrics/lib/telemetry_metrics/console_reporter.ex at main · beam-telemetry/telemetry_metrics · GitHub

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews