bobfp

bobfp

Hi everyone,

I’m migrating a Magic Link authentication flow from Phoenix LiveView to a SolidJS SPA using Ash TypeScript, and I’m stuck on retrieving the authentication token.

Background

  • Using AshAuthentication’s built-in magic link resources (which worked perfectly out-of-the-box with LiveView)

  • Now building a JS SPA (SolidJS) that needs to interact with the same backend via the RPC client

  • The LiveView implementation handled the token automatically, but I want to manage it manually in the SPA

What I’m trying to do

Recreate the same Magic Link flow in my SPA:

  1. User requests a magic link via email

  2. User clicks the link and is authenticated

  3. The app receives and stores the authentication token for subsequent API calls

Current status

:white_check_mark: Successfully requesting the magic link using AshAuthentication’s request_magic_link action
:white_check_mark: Successfully calling the sign-in-with-magic-link action
:cross_mark: Cannot retrieve the authentication token after sign-in to store it client-side

The problem

From what I can tell, the token appears to be returned via metadata in the response, but the RPC client doesn’t seem to expose this metadata (or I’m not accessing it correctly).

Question

  1. How do I access response metadata (specifically the auth token) from AshAuthentication’s magic link sign-in action through the RPC client?

  2. Is there a different pattern I should be following when using AshAuthentication with a JS SPA instead of LiveView?

Any guidance on properly handling AshAuthentication tokens in a decoupled frontend would be greatly appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Ah…right. I think the RPC client may need to be updated to support displaying metadata in its results. You’ll need to open an issue for this :smiley:

bobfp

bobfp OP

No worries, will do.
For anyone else that has a similar issue, I found a workaround by getting the token in a calculation:

defmodule FastricaServer.Accounts.User.Calculations.CurrentToken do
  @moduledoc """
  Calculation that retrieves the current authentication token for a user.

  This queries the Token resource to find the most recent valid token
  for the user, which is set during authentication via the sign_in_with_magic_link action.
  """
  use Ash.Resource.Calculation

  @impl true
  def calculate(records, _opts, _context) do
    # For each user record, generate a fresh JWT token
    Enum.map(records, fn user ->
      case AshAuthentication.Jwt.token_for_user(user, %{
        "purpose" => "user"
      }) do
        {:ok, jwt_token, _claims} -> jwt_token
        _ -> nil
      end
    end)
  end

  @impl true
  def load(_query, _opts, _context) do
    # No additional data needs to be loaded
    []
  end
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews