awright415

awright415

I needed to figure out a way to recursively preload child records from a many_to_many relationship with Ecto, but all the discussions I saw were limited to hierarchical, self-join scenarios. This seemed very doable with a recursive CTE, though, so I got to work.

I’m new to Elixir, so I might’ve missed a better solution. But I went with passing a preloading function to Ecto.Query.preload/3.

The recursive CTE turns the simple many-to-many join table into a (partial) closure table. Then, within the preload function, I’m querying the CTE for all the child records and building out the fully nested Ecto structs.

That’s the version of the solution that I put into a gist to share here. But, for my actual use case, I took the extra step of creating a recursive view for the full closure table. Then I made a separate Ecto schema that models the rows of the closure table as Edges in the graph. This leaves the option of later making a materialized view of the closure table if performance requires it.

At some point, I hope to do a proper blog post about this. But in the meantime, I wanted to get a solution out there, in case someone else has a similar use case.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Guides/Tuts Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews