egze

egze

I have the following data structure:

data = %{
  "foo" => "bar",
  "abc" => %{
    "source" => "my-id",
    "value" => "12345"
  },
  "list" => [
    %{"source" => "my-id", "value" => "56789"},
    %{"source" => "my-other-id", "value" => "hello"}
  ]
}

I want to replace the inner maps that match the supplied source_id and replace them with a default value of %{"source" => "", "value" => ""}
If the matched map was is a list, then it should be removed (if it‘s a top level item in that list).

So if I call cleanup(data, "my-id"), the expected output should be:

%{
  "foo" => "bar",
  "abc" => %{
    "source" => "",
    "value" => ""
  },
  "list" => [
    %{"source" => "my-other-id", "value" => "hello"}
  ]
}

Should support any level of nesting. Having a bit of a brain freeze how to do it in an elegant way.

Please help with any pointers.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

akash-akya

akash-akya

Not sure if this is elegant, but this one way of doing it

defmodule Example do
  def cleanup(data, source) when is_map(data) do
    if filter?(data, source) do
      %{"source" => "", "value" => ""}
    else
      Map.new(data, fn {key, value} ->
        {key, cleanup(value, source)}
      end)
    end
  end

  def cleanup([hd | tail], source) do
    list = if filter?(hd, source), do: tail, else: [hd | tail]
    Enum.map(list, &cleanup(&1, source))
  end

  def cleanup(data, _source), do: data

  defp filter?(data, source), do: match?(%{"source" => ^source}, data)
end
Sebb

Sebb

Is it possible to change the data structure?

Some points that would make me think twice are

  • arbitrary keys (Most of the time I’d prefer %{key: "foo", value: "bar"} over %{foo: "bar"})
  • maps may occur in lists and as single item (why not lists of one instead?)
  • nested structure, most of the times a flat structure is easier to handle

Its impossible to say if that would be better not knowing what you are doing. But I found that thinking twice about the data structures can lead to way simpler code.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This is a fairly elegant solution, IMO:

defmodule Cleanup do
  def cleanup(data, source_id) do
    case data do
      %{"source" => ^source_id} ->
        %{"source" => "", "value" => ""}

      %{} ->
        Map.new(data, fn {k, v} -> {k, cleanup(v, source_id)} end)

      [_ | _] ->
        data
        |> Enum.reject(&match?(%{"source" => ^source_id}, &1))
        |> Enum.map(fn v -> cleanup(v, source_id) end)

      _ ->
        data
    end
  end
end

Just like the data structure, the code is recursive (for handling list elements and child maps).

The most unique part of this is the middle line in the list case:

Enum.reject(data, &match?(%{"source" => ^source_id}, &1))

Without that line, cleanup simply replaces every map with `“source” => ^source_id" with the empty version

egze

egze OP

@akash-akya @al2o3cr Very cool. I see some similar ideas, will try it out. Thanks you both. I was also thinking about giving Pathex a try, but your solutions are much easier to understand.

@Sebb Unfortunately the data shape is out of my control. It’s an arbitrary external JSON without any standard shape, that represents params that need to be passed to another endpoint.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews