Namit

Namit

defmodule KayaanPrints.EnvLoader do
  def load_env(path \\ ".env") do
    if File.exists?(path) do
      File.stream!(path)
      |> Stream.map(&String.trim/1)
      |> Enum.each(fn line ->
        [key, value] = String.split(line, "=")
        System.put_env(key, value)
      end)
    end
  end
end

So, I’m using the above module to load env variables into System. And in my config file, I have added the below code:

if config_env() in [:dev, :test] do
  Code.eval_file("lib/kayaan_prints/env_loader.ex")
  KayaanPrints.EnvLoader.load_env()
end

It doesn’t throw any error but it shows this as a problem:
redefining module KayaanPrints.EnvLoader (current version defined in memory)

I think it is due to Code.eval_file which loads and evaluates the file everytime it recompiles. Importing module doesn’t work as well. How do i resolve this? if I don’t want to write the whole module code in config.exs file, is there any way i can somehow import it into config?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

krasenyp

krasenyp

I respect doing things manually but there’s already an established way to do what you want - dotenvy. If you’re not working on a personal project I encourage you to give the library a try.

Edit: If you still what to go with a homegrown solution, check the built-in Config.Provider.

Namit

Namit OP

Thanks a lot sir. But the dotenvy only works during runtime, what if i wanted to load environment variables during compile time without manual code. Are there any libraries available for the same?

lud

lud

Something like this may suppress the warning:

if not function_exported?(KayaanPrints.EnvLoader, :__info__, 1) do
  Code.eval_file("lib/kayaan_prints/env_loader.ex")
end

KayaanPrints.EnvLoader.load_env()
mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Instead of Code.eval_file/1 one should use compile_path: config in your Mix.Project file. More precisely, elixirc_paths: is your friend.

That said, in mix.exs you are to have

  …
  def project do
    [
      …
      elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env()),
      …
    ]

  defp elixirc_paths(:test), do: ["lib", "extras"]
  defp elixirc_paths(:dev), do: ["lib", "extras"]
  defp elixirc_paths(_), do: ["lib"]

Then move your file from the main tree ("lib" dir) to "extras" on the same level as "lib".
And, finally, use that:

if Code.ensure_loaded?(KayaanPrints.EnvLoader),
  do: KayaanPrints.EnvLoader.load_env()
Namit

Namit OP

I tried this but it’s still throwing the same warning.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

This cannot be the case.

Either you forgot to remove KayaanPrints from lib, or you did not recompile the project fresh. Try mix do clean, compile.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews