Muhammad-Mullah

Muhammad-Mullah

Hey guys, working with phoenix 1.2 and i have a user model with user_role field which specifies if a user is an admin or sales or accounts. The Sign Up, Sign In and Sign Out flow works perfectly well but i wanted to implement a concept where a user is redirected to a specific dashboard after signing up and signing in i.e if a user is Admin then is redirected to Admin Dashboard and if is accounts is redirected to Accounts Dashboard. Am using Guardian for Authentication/Authorization

Anyone with an idea how i can implement this? Thanks in Advance

Showing Posts 1 to 5

danielberkompas

danielberkompas

I’m not familiar with Guardian, but this is how I would do it if I controlled the whole login flow.

Add a redirect_after_authentication function:

def redirect_after_authentication(conn) do
  path =
    case conn.assigns.current_user.user_role do
      "admin" ->
         admin_dashboard_path(conn, :index)
      "accounts" ->
         accounts_dashboard_path(conn, :index)
      "sales" ->
        accounts_dashboard_path(conn, :index)
    end

  redirect(conn, to: path)
end

You can put that function in a shared module, wherever it makes sense for your application. Then, in your SessionController, where you log in users, you’d do this:

# import `redirect_after_authentication/1` from wherever you put it

def create(conn, params) do
  # Authentication logic, checking email/password etc
  redirect_after_authentication(conn)
end
Muhammad-Mullah

Muhammad-Mullah OP

Thanks @danielberkompas.

I did pipe the above function to my SessionController :create function which is the sign in function as follows

def create(conn, %{“session” => %{“email” => email, “password” => password}}) do
case verify_credentials(email, password) do
{:ok, user} →
conn
|> put_flash(:info, “Successfully signed in”)
|> Guardian.Plug.sign_in(user)
|> redirect_after_authentication()
#|> redirect(to: admin_path(conn, :task))
{:error, _reason} →
conn
|> put_flash(:error, “Invalid email address or password”)
|> render(“new.html”)
end
end

and it produces this error message in the browser function nil.user_role/0 is undefined or private

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Somewhere in your flow You should have

assign(socket, :user, user)

like just after

|> Guardian.Plug.sign_in(user)

and be sure to have a userole attribute in your schema.

Muhammad-Mullah

Muhammad-Mullah OP

yeah I do have user_role field in my schema

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The error message is somehow clear…

nil.userrole/0

It does not find the user in

conn.assigns.user

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews