giusdp

giusdp

Hi all,

I was wondering on the best way to have a function that can return multiple errors. For example, I have something like this:

  @spec run_some_work(atom(), Params.t()) ::
          {:ok, Result.t()}
          | {:error, :bad_params}
          | {:error, :not_found}
          | {:error, :no_workers}
          | {:error, :worker_error}

The function can fail in different ways, and for each it has a different :error. in the @spec. I list them all so from the outside I can clearly see how to work with this function.

The problems that I’m having is that having functions with a big list of return types is cluttering my files, and that I have to update every spec if I add something new.

What’s your approach with functions that can give different errors? I was thinking about creating some sort of struct MyError, where the docs and specs would describe the possible errors it can contain, so in the function I would be just returning a single MyError struct.

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

cmo

cmo

You can use defexception to define the error, which you can pass around as a struct or raise.

You can also define the list of errors as a @type if you’re repeating them.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’d follow Rust conventions and make the Result.t() type include both the :ok and :error variants, making sub-types out of them as necessary.

Depends how strict you want to be with the return values though, f.ex. if you have 8 variants for errors but you want to tell Dialyzer that function X can only return 3 of them then it could get tricky and verbose indeed, and in that case your current solution is the best.

giusdp

giusdp OP

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of putting the possible errors in the Result struct itself, I was already slowly going in that direction. Perhaps it is a more functional way as well.

I will also look into the defexception approach, although initially I didn’t check it out because it seemed a more traditional OOP way to deal with errors.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’m sure somebody will show up and tell me I’m wrong but I frankly don’t care about exceptions in Elixir. And the whole other throw, raise and rescue stuff. I ignore them on purpose.

I have only reached for them when it was made clear to me that a worker cannot ever crash (and thus be auto-restarted) at which point I just said “okay, fair” and bullet-proofed it.

In every single other case, so 99.9%, I’ll reach for everything else but not exceptions / throws / raises. If something is that brittle and can crash periodically – but recovers by itself little later – then I’ll just wrap it in a GenServer and communicate through messages with it (so as the caller doesn’t crash right away). But if that keeps crashing then it’s best for your app to go down because you have an unrecoverable error, in which case exceptions wouldn’t help at all anyway.


TL;DR: there’s a very good reasoning behind the “let it crash” philosophy, provided you have taken some precautions (which the OTP either gives you by default or makes extremely easy for you to set up e.g. amount of process restarts before giving up, timeouts etc).

cmo

cmo

You’re wrong! :wink:

An exception is a struct, so you can be more specific about the cause and house more details/context than a simple atom. You don’t have to raise it.

For example, I have an external system that can return either a windows or app error code, which we turn into one of two exceptions with the code and message. I can easily distinguish between them and handle the different error cases.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

On a purely mechanical level, you can solve these problems with @type - anywhere you can write a basic type, you can instead write a custom one:

@type work_errors :: {:error, :bad_params} | {:error, :not_found} | {:error, :no_workers} | {:error, :worker_error}

@spec run_some_work(...) :: {:ok, Result.t()} | work_errors

That addresses both the “this takes up a lot of space” issue as well as “this is an updating headache” issue.

HOWEVER

A better question would be who’s handling those errors, and how. If they’re doing:

case run_some_work(...) do
  # etc
  {:error, _} ->
    yolo_try_it_again
end

then there’s not much value to maintaining detailed errors all the way up the stack. In that case, collapsing to a simpler error payload at a sensible boundary might make things clearer.

Finally, if the problem is likely to go away by just trying again (and if your data model tolerates it) you could consider “handling” errors like :no_workers by crashing.

giusdp

giusdp OP

Thanks everyone for the advice and the interesting discussion about the defexception, and the two schools of thoughts behind :smile:

In my case I don’t want to fall in the over-engineering trap so I’ll just use a @type to make the code less verbose and move on. If I find myself having to add more errors I will come back here and take a decision.

Probably I will do as @al2o3cr said and check out if I can move the error handling to a boundary, so I keep a lighter error type inside the core logic.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews