kitplummer

kitplummer

I’ve got a bit of a real world problem that I’m trying to teach myself through and am straight stuck. I’ve tried a handful of things to get to where I want to be…but just don’t have enough base knowledge to work through it. Obviously I could put this away and come back to it, but figure asking for a little help/tutoring is better. I’ve started with enumerating over a ‘categories’ list, then piping it into a Map.update, accumulating things but bah, didn’t get close.

Here’s the module:

defmodule Categories do
  def categorize!(directory, categories) do
    result = %{}
    cat1 = find_types_for_cat(directory, categories[:cat1])

    result =
      if Kernel.length(cat1[:cat1]) > 0 do
        Map.merge(result, cat1)
      else
        result
      end

    cat2 = find_types_for_cat(directory, categories[:cat2])

    result =
      if Kernel.length(cat2[:cat2]) > 0 do
        Map.merge(result, cat2)
      else
        result
      end

    cat3 = find_types_for_cat(directory, categories[:cat3])

    result =
      if Kernel.length(cat3[:cat3]) > 0 do
        Map.merge(result, cat3)
      else
        result
      end

    result
  end

  def find_types_for_cat(directory, category) do
    %{category.name => Path.wildcard("#{directory}/**/#{Category.types_to_string(category)}")}
  end
end

The struct:

defmodule Category do
  alias __MODULE__

  defstruct name: nil, types: []

  def types_to_string(category) do
    types = Enum.join(category.types, ",")
    "{" <> types <> "}"
  end
end

And here’s the tests:

defmodule CategoriesTest do
  use ExUnit.Case, async: true
  doctest Categories

  setup_all do
    category_one = %Category{name: :cat1, types: ["type1", "type1.1"]}
    category_two = %Category{name: :cat2, types: ["type2", "type2.1"]}
    category_three = %Category{name: :cat3, types: ["type3"]}

    ## TODO: Make this an extensible list of categories, no keys
    cat_map = %{:cat1 => category_one, :cat2 => category_two, :cat3 => category_three}
    [categories: cat_map]
  end

  describe "greets the world with bad Elixir" do
    test "dir1", %{categories: categories} do
      expected = %{
        cat1: ["test/dirs/dir1/type1"]
      }

      assert Categories.categorize!("test/dirs/dir1", categories) == expected
    end

    test "dir2", %{categories: categories} do
      expected = %{
        cat1: ["test/dirs/dir2/subdir1/type1", "test/dirs/dir2/type1"],
        cat2: ["test/dirs/dir2/subdir2/type2", "test/dirs/dir2/type2.1"]
      }

      assert Categories.categorize!("test/dirs/dir2", categories) == expected
    end

    test "dir3", %{categories: categories} do
      expected = %{
        cat1: ["test/dirs/dir3/subdir2/type1", "test/dirs/dir3/type1", "test/dirs/dir3/type1.1"],
        cat2: ["test/dirs/dir3/subdir3/type2", "test/dirs/dir3/type2"],
        cat3: ["test/dirs/dir3/subdir1/type3", "test/dirs/dir3/type3"]
      }

      assert Categories.categorize!("test/dirs/dir3", categories) == expected
    end
  end
end

I’ve also created a simple project to work on the problem if that’s easier to look at than pasted code blocks here.

Appreciate any help/guidance I can get. TIA.

Kit

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

When there is something repetitive like this, I tend to use Enum.reduce, or list comprehension…

This would look like this (pseudo code…and not tested)

Enum.reduce([:cat1, :cat2, :cat3], %{}, fn cat, acc -> 
  search = find_types_for_cat(directory, categories[cat])
  if Enum.empty?(search) do
    acc
  else
    Map.put(acc, cat, search.name)
  end
end)

BTW there is a missing iteration with categories because they can have multiple types, so You miss a piece here.

As You mention… it would be better to have a list of categories, and use Enum.filter on it instead of using a map. Something like…

list = [category_one, category_two, category_three]
Enum.filter(list, fn & &.name == :cat1)
kitplummer

kitplummer OP

This was step one. Have changed categories to a List. And am getting closer with Enum.reduce()

kitplummer

kitplummer OP

Got it working.

Categories module:

defmodule Categories do
  @spec categorize!(any, any) :: any
  def categorize!(directory, categories) do
    Enum.reduce(categories, %{}, fn category, acc ->
      search = find_types_for_cat(directory, category)

      if Enum.empty?(search) do
        acc
      else
        Map.put(acc, category.name, search)
      end
    end)
  end

  @spec find_types_for_cat(any, atom | %{types: any}) :: [binary]
  def find_types_for_cat(directory, category) do
    Path.wildcard("#{directory}/**/#{Category.types_to_string(category)}")
  end
end

And the updated test:

defmodule CategoriesTest do
  use ExUnit.Case, async: true
  doctest Categories

  setup_all do
    category_one = %Category{name: :cat1, types: ["type1", "type1.1"]}
    category_two = %Category{name: :cat2, types: ["type2", "type2.1"]}
    category_three = %Category{name: :cat3, types: ["type3"]}
    cat_list = [category_one, category_two, category_three]
    [categories: cat_list]
  end

  describe "greets the world with bad Elixir" do
    test "dir1", %{categories: categories} do
      expected = %{
        cat1: ["test/dirs/dir1/type1"]
      }

      assert Categories.categorize!("test/dirs/dir1", categories) == expected
    end

    # @tag :skip
    test "dir2", %{categories: categories} do
      expected = %{
        cat1: ["test/dirs/dir2/subdir1/type1", "test/dirs/dir2/type1"],
        cat2: ["test/dirs/dir2/subdir2/type2", "test/dirs/dir2/type2.1"]
      }

      assert Categories.categorize!("test/dirs/dir2", categories) == expected
    end

    # @tag :skip
    test "dir3", %{categories: categories} do
      expected = %{
        cat1: ["test/dirs/dir3/subdir2/type1", "test/dirs/dir3/type1", "test/dirs/dir3/type1.1"],
        cat2: ["test/dirs/dir3/subdir3/type2", "test/dirs/dir3/type2"],
        cat3: ["test/dirs/dir3/subdir1/type3", "test/dirs/dir3/type3"]
      }

      assert Categories.categorize!("test/dirs/dir3", categories) == expected
    end
  end
end

Thanks for the pointer @kokolegorille - greatly appreciated. Will dig into Enum.reduce a bit more now.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews