Nicoslav
Which are the most common ways to do Reflection in Elixir? Especially Object-Analysis and Class-Analysis would be nice to know since there isn’t really anything available in the internet towards this topic.
Thank you guys in advance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
There are neither objects nor classes in elixir, so I’m not sure what exactly you’re looking for. Data in elixir is just data. For inspecting processes you might want to look at
:sys.Nicoslav
Whoops.. as you see im pretty new in Elixir. Thanks for your answer. Is this the most equivalent to reflection in Java?
benwilson512
Reflection in Java is generally focused on classes, and since Elixir does not have classes or objects, there is nothing particularly equivalent to Java reflection at all.
Keep in mind, reflection is a tool that exists to solve problems a particular way. Elixir is an entirely different approach to programming than Java, and so it has entirely different tools. The best way to learn Elixir is on its own terms, and not try too hard to find Java equivalents.
shanesveller
There aren’t really any successfully developed or adopted solutions for runtime reflection/inspection of Elixir modules, and in most cases we would favor compile-time metaprogramming. This might be done with macros or with just simple uses of
quote/unquote. Chris McCord’s book is excellent here and does not suffer from its age as these facilities haven’t changed much over time since it was published.gregvaughn
The closest thing I think of to Java reflection is the
__info__/1(Module — Elixir v1.8.1) function defined on each module. It lets you find out what function/arity are exported by each module, plus other metadata.kokolegorille
Ecto has some reflection with
For example…
The list is not complete…
This works for Ecto schema, but not for struct
lukaszsamson
There are some tools and techniques that allow to do things comparable to what Java/.NET reflection APIs provide.
Applicationmodule (e.g.Application.all_started/0):code, e.g. `:code.all_loaded/0’__info__/1,module_info/0,1, `behaviour_info/1__protocol__/1,impl_for/1,impl_for!/1functionsMap.from_struct/1- use that to inspect/iterate over fieldsMap.put(my_map, :__struct__, MyModule)Code):"Elixir.My.#{prefix}Module"applyCode.fetch_docsto query documentationCode.Typespec.fetch_specs/callbacks/typesto query dialyzer specs (warning - private API)Macro.pre/postwalkto generate/transform ASTshanesveller
This particular piece works fine as-is, but is safest to do with Module.concat/1 or better still, Module.safe_concat/1 or their
/2variants.dimitarvp
The closest thing to reflection in Erlang/Elixir (and all BEAM languages) are the apply/2 and apply/3 functions.
That being said, I completely agree with @benwilson512 – learn functional programming and Elixir itself and you will find several alternatives that might even work better for your use case.