Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

Hello,
Until now I was using docker container to build and deploy my phoenix apps.
Something as following:

  • I have a dev.Dockerfile and a docker-compose.dev.yml dedicated for development
  • I have a prod.Dockerfile and a docker-compose.yml dedicated to production
  • The reason I have 2 Dockerfiles (despite I heard that it’s not very good) is because the dev one has some development dedicated tools and the prod one is a multistage Dockerfile with a build stage (where I use Releases) and a very lightweight actual image (with only the Releases copied over).
    The compose files are barely different, mainly ports and envs.
  • To deploy, I SSH into the prod server, pull the repo and run docker-compose up -d .

So, nothing too fancy.
And in the meantime I even started to bring into play some CI/CD with Gitlab CI, and it seems even easier and cleaner to deploy, but the workflow is the same.

Now I wanted to tackle the downtime issue.

At first I thought about solving this “manually”. I mean like the green/blue strategy by having a load balancer and managing the replacement of the old image manually (here is a good blog post I find about the subject How to do Zero Downtime Deployments of Docker Containers · Coderbook)

Another solution seems to be using docker swarm abilities (with docker services) to update containers. I just heard of it and it seems to be a pretty interesting solution. This could also allow me to gradually get rid of docker-compose.

The other solution I want to discuss here, is using Elixir/Erlang own abilities to perform code reloading.
But first I want to say that I’m completely lost about the current tools and the “best way” to do it. I heard of distillery, edeliver, and also elixir releases. I don’t get what’s doing what.

Elixir Releases seems to be a recent tool and it seems that it’s not so spread.
In fact I’m already using releases but only because I had some hard try to figure out in my docker containers approach how to handle my env variable. Following some recipes I found, I’m mostly using it because I put all my env variables within the config/releases.exs file and it just works.

Edeliver seems to be a tool that automates what we could do manually otherwise like SSH’ing into the prod server and copying the files.

Distillery, I don’t get its usage.

So, I wanted to know more about this topic.

Where Elixir/Erlang intrinsic hot code reloading abilities come into play?

Also, is it possible to have docker containers and those Elixir/Erlang code reloading at the same time?

Thank you for all your insights about this topic.
I’ll be happy to hear more about your workflows.

Have a good day..

Most Liked

d-led

d-led

5 years later …

I’ve opened this post in a tab while thinking of trying out a hot code deployment without the normal release/appup/distillery approach, and take it to an extreme - continue an animation while crashing (and restarting) the process behind it, and later, tolerating a node failure (making the demo a bit chattier to support that). I’ve been reading the Elixir docs saying: “don’t do the usual thing, try other mechanisms”, and this is my answer to this with some patterns that are well-known (I don’t think there’s anything new apart from trying it out for real): GitHub - d-led/ssr-robust-live-svg: Sometimes you just have to externalize the thoughts by implementing them. Zero downtime upgrade of a server-side rendered animation of svg. No k8s, extra databases or message brokers needed (trade-offs may apply) · GitHub

I wished there were more (automated) demos on that subject with all the different trade-offs and idea combinations

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Releases are a self contained package of files for running a beam project in production. Both mix release as well as distillery are tools to build a release based on a mix project (mix release was mostly build by the learnings of the older distillery). Today most people seem to use mix release over distillery for being included in elixir and the consolidation of configuration options, but distillery has better support for hot code updates as it generates appup/relup files, while for mix release you’ll need to create them manually.

Edeliver as you’ve gathered is a more high level tool wanting to handle the whole deployment process, where building a release is just one piece.

As for docker: You can do hot code updates with docker (gigalixir does support that afaik), but it goes kinda against the grain of docker and the idea of immutable images/throwaway instance. Basically you’ll need to modify your docker instance while it’s running.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

The main thing to note here is that, once your release is running inside a container, doing blue green deployments with Elixir is basically the same as doing blue green deployments with any other language. Therefore, don’t limit the material you read to only material that talks about Elixir specifically. Pick one of the various ways to deploy applications with docker and use whatever built in blue green deployment mechanism it has.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews