grangerelixx

grangerelixx

Hi everyone, this is my first time writing regular expression. I have a regular expression that helps in validating domain names. I think the syntax is wrong here for Elixir. Any help?

~r/^((?!-)[A-Za-z0-9-]{1, 63}(?<!-)\\.)+[A-Za-z]{2, 6}$/

The expected behavior is to match domain names that are in the following format

domain_name.domain_name.extension

or

domain_name.extension

The regular expression should make sure the

  • domain_name can be maximum of 63characters long
  • domain_names can have any letters(can be both lower and upper case), numbers and hyphen.
  • domain_names cannot start or end with hyphen
  • There should be atleast one domain_name.
  • Tld can have any letters(can be both lower and upper case), and numbers in the range of 2 to 6 characters long.
  • All domain_names and tld are separated by period.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

eksperimental

eksperimental

escape . only once, and remove space inside the curly brackets and it works.

iex> ~r/^((?!-)[A-Za-z0-9-]{1,63}(?<!-)\.)+[A-Za-z]{2,6}$/ |> Regex.match?("domain-name.domain-name.ext")
true
grangerelixx

grangerelixx OP

Thanks a lot! Works now :smiley:

halostatue

halostatue

This is the regex that I was using when I was trying to meaningfully check email addresses. It isn’t complete on the mailbox side (but it’s very good), but it is nearly complete on the domain side (I just noticed an error where the length of the punycode prefix is not considered as part of a part length; it’s not hard to deal with, but will result in two branches for length checking):

  @email_re ~r/
    \A
    (?=
      # Lookahead - the entire address must not exceed 254 characters and
      # must be at least six characters long.
      [-a-z0-9@.!#$%&'*+\/=?^_`{|}~]{6,254}
      \z
    )
    (?=
      # Lookahead - the mailbox part of the address must be between 1..64
      # characters long.
      [-a-z0-9.!#$%&'*+\/=?^_`{|}~]{1,64}
      @
    )
    (?<mailbox>
      # The mailbox part of the address must begin with a printable character.
      [a-z0-9!#$%&'*+\/=?^_`{|}~-]+
      # The mailbox part of the address may contain periods, but must not
      # contain multiple periods in a row.
      (?:\.[a-z0-9!#$%&'*+\/=?^_`{|}~-]+)*
    )
    # The mailbox part is separated from the domain part with a literal.
    @
    (?<domain>
      # The domain part must have at least one non-TLD part. Practically, for
      # SMTP, there is a maximum of 125 non-TLD parts -- subdomains, domain,
      # and TLD.
      (?:
        # The domain part may not start with a dash.
        (?!-)
        # The domain part may start with xn-- for punycode encoding.
        (xn--)?
        # The domain part must have at least one alphanumeric.
        [a-z0-9]
        # The domain part may have 0-62 alphanumeric or dash
        # characters.
        [-a-z0-9]{0,62}
        # The domain part may not end with a dash
        (?<![-])
        # Each hostname label in the domain part terminates with a period literal.
        \.
      ){1,}
      # The TLD may not start with a dash.
      (?!-)
      # The TLD may start with xn-- for punycode
      (xn--)?
      # The TLD starts with an alphanumeric.
      [a-z0-9]
      # The TLD may have 1..62 alphanumeric or dash characters.
      [-a-z0-9]{1,62}  # May have 0–61 alphanumeric, dash, or underscore
      # The TLD may not end with a dash or underscore.
      (?<!-)
    )
    \z
    /ix
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews