belgoros

belgoros

I’m not a pro in using Regex and can’t figure out why the following behaviour happens, especially if we take into account the difference of matching in Javascript, Java, and Ruby (that’s why I’m a kind of stuck).
So I’d like to split a String input on one of the below characters:

  • spaces
  • underscores
  • comma
  • colon
  • punctuation
  • special characters

So I have the following code snippet in iex session:

String.split("testing, one, two car : carpet as java : javascript!!&@$%^& co-operation one_two 1 2", ~r/[\W-[_]|:]+/u, trim: true)

that returns:

["testing", "one", "two", "car", "carpet", "as", "java", "javascript", "co",
 "operation", "one", "two", "1", "2"]

I had to substract underscore symbol from \W(any “non-word” character) as it includes it (a-zA-Z_).
As you see, there is still a problem with matching the hyphen in co-operation word.
Whatever I try, whenever I put - in the above regex, nothing works, - it just breaks the previously matching cases.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

I’m not sure what you mean by “substracting the underscore”.

When I simply use ~r/[\W_]/ as the splitter, I get the same result as you with your more complicated regex. It seems as if it were already splitting on -. this way.

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

If I understand your problem, I think you need to escape - in your character class. The reason is that - is used to defined ranges of characters. For example, ~r/[a-z]/ means all characters from a to z, not a, -, and z. You can escape characters in a character class, by using \. So, for the previous example, to get it to mean a, -, and z, you’d do ~r/[a\-z]/.

Hope that helps

belgoros

belgoros OP

@blatyo Exactly, I should not split on hyphen and should exclude it from matching.
So, using a backslash to split on - worked but make other examples fail:

#before
String.split("co-operation tree_five one two 1 2 azerty : double:side", ~r/[\W-[_]|:]+/u, trim: true) 
#=> 
["co", "operation", "tree", "five", "one", "two", "1", "2", "azerty", "double",
 "side"]

After:

String.split("co-operation tree_five one two 1 2 azerty : double:side", ~r/[\W-[_]\-|:]+/u, trim: true)
#=> ["co-operation tree_five one two 1 2 azerty : double:side"]

As you see, the split is no more working on colon (:) and underscore(_).

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

Oh, I finally understand what you’re doing. Use this regex instead.

String.split("co-operation tree_five one two 1 2 azerty : double:side", ~r/[^a-zA-Z0-9\-]+/u, trim: true)
#=> ["co-operation", "tree", "five", "one", "two", "1", "2", "azerty", "double",
 "side"]

\W-[_] doesn’t mean subtract the underscore from the \W character class. There is no such supported operation in a regex like that which I’m aware of.

belgoros

belgoros OP

@blatyo Thank you for your response. Weird, because I followed this article before applying this substract syntax.
Your Regex works but still fails for Unicode characters:

String.split("testing, co-operation tree_five one two 1 2 azerty : double:side schöner javascript!!&@$%^&", ~r/[^a-zA-Z\-]+/u, trim: true)

#=> ["testing", "co-operation", "tree", "five", "one", "two", "azerty", "double",
 "side", "sch", "ner", "javascript"]

As you see, it splits the word schöner on 2 parts instead of keeping it as a whole one.
I think it would be the same if I replace [^a-zA-Z0-9\-]+/u with [^\w\-]+/u.

But in this case the problem of splitting by underscore is still open :frowning:

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

Try this: ~r/([^\w\-]|_)+/u

peerreynders

peerreynders

Shorthand Character Classes

In most flavors that support Unicode, \w includes many characters from other scripts. There is a lot of inconsistency about which characters are actually included. Letters and digits from alphabetic scripts and ideographs are generally included. Connector punctuation other than the underscore and numeric symbols that aren’t digits may or may not be included.

iex(1)> String.split("testing, co-operation tree_five one two 1 2 azerty : double:side schöner javascript!!&@$%^&", ~r/[^\p{L}\-]+/u, trim: true)
["testing", "co-operation", "tree", "five", "one", "two", "azerty", "double", 
 "side", "schöner", "javascript"]

Unicode Regular Expressions

You can match a single character belonging to the “letter” category with \p{L}. You can match a single character not belonging to that category with \P{L}.

belgoros

belgoros OP

@blatyo Yep, it worked like a charm, thanks a lot :slight_smile:
@peerreynders, yes, Regex was always kind of obscure corner :slight_smile:

NobbZ

NobbZ

You missed the very first sentence of the article:

Character class subtraction is supported by the XML Schema, XPath, .NET (version 2.0 and later), and JGsoft regex flavors.

Neither Erlangs, nor Elixirs (which are basically the same) RegEx engine is in that list.

belgoros

belgoros OP

Nice catch, - good to know, thank you !

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews