Spyes
I have a Registry to create dynamic GenServers (each holding users’ parameters). I want to be able to take advantage of GenServer’s distributed multi_call / abcast, but since I’m using Registry, I must use a via tuple. Seems that mutli_call doesn’t like via tuples… Am I doing something wrong, is this by design, bug, or..? Thanks!
def start_link(uid, pid, params \\ %{}) do
GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [{pid, params}], name: via_tuple(uid))
end
defp via_tuple(uid), do: {:via, Registry, {@users_registry_name, uid}}
def get_params(uid) do
{replies, _bad} = via_tuple(uid) |> GenServer.multi_call(:get_params)
end
Error returned:
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in :gen_server.start_monitor/2
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:576: :gen_server.start_monitor(:node1@host, {:via, Registry, {:users_registry, "test"}})
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:467: :gen_server.send_nodes/5
(stdlib) gen_server.erl:425: :gen_server.do_multi_call/4
(project_name) lib/project_name/users_monitor.ex:17: ProjectName.UsersMonitor.get_params/1
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Spyes
Digging through Erlang code for gen_server I see that start_monitor only accepts an atom as the name.. Erlang-OTP/lib/stdlib/src/gen_server.erl at master · blackberry/Erlang-OTP · GitHub
Any ideas how I can do something similar with as much ease as multi_call / abcast, or will I have to implement something myself?
josevalim
multi_callandabcastare about sending calls/casts across nodes rather than on the same machine.Spyes
Right, so my question is - how do I create dynamically-named GenServers and cast to them across multiple nodes?
What I mean is - I could have multiple GenServers with the same dynamically-generated name on different nodes. I want to be able to retrieve all params I’ve saved on those GenServers regardless of what node they are on.
arjan
I think you’re looking for a process registry that works in a distributed manner. Registry is only a local process registry, so maybe it’s not the right choice for you?
Maybe swarm or syn are a better match for your case.
Spyes
Thanks! I was thinking about Swarm actually, but was wondering if there was anything native that I could use instead. Also - do names in Swarm have to be unique? If I start two GenServers with the same name, will sending to that name send to both?
arjan
Swarm supports process grouping, that might do the trick?
Spyes
Hmm.. I’m not sure that it would. My scenario is this: a user connects with certain params, and I need to save those params. The same user can connect multiple times, with either similar or different params, but what is constant is his user_id (which in this case would be the “group”). I need to be able to retrieve all params saved under that user_id. My problem is that I could have many users connecting, so I can’t use a dynamically-created atom from the user_id as the group name..
voltone
One approach might be to have an aggregate store of user-related information, either on a centralised node or distributed using something like Riak Core or Mnesia, and have all nodes write to and read from there.
A simpler option, though potentially a bottleneck, would be the following: on each node run a regular named GenServer that dispatches to the local user processes through Registry. You can then use
multi_callandabcastto broadcast a tuple{uid, message}to that named process, and each node would unwrap the message and relay it locally using the via-tuple inuid. For calls you may have to spawn a process to handle the reply asynchronously, to avoid blocking the dispatcher.arjan
I think that it’s possible to use any term as the group name, as is usually
the case with systems like these.
gon782
Yes, both
synandswarmcan register arbitrary erlang terms as groups / names. I heartily recommendsyn, by the way. It’s very pleasant to work with. I’ve never used it for anything big, though, but it seems to do a fairly decent job of auto-synchronizing names/groups on/after netsplits.