Releases without ERTS / Cross compiling

I have been bitten by an issue with erts in a release, when one version of erts linked to libtinfo.so.5 and my server had libtinfo.so.6. Whatever, I recompiled.

Just wondering - in theory, if I don’t use NIFs, and have an archive of different versions of erts compiled for different os/architectures, and I match the same version of erts, I could create a release on (say) arm, copy it to x86, replace the erts folder, and it should be ready to go? or are there other things to keep in mind?

Because I was wondering if we couldn’t just share a bunch of pre-compiled ertts versions, and wget them on install…

If you don’t have any other native dependencies like NIFs then this does indeed work. That’s why include_erts for relases lets you specify not just a boolean, but also a path to custom erts folders.

1 Like

I’m realizing that it’s not that easy, because a lot of libraries have NIFs. For example, on a run-of-the mill Phoenix app, under myapp/lib, I’m finding:

[root@c9erl2 lib]# tree . -P '*.so' --prune
β”œβ”€β”€ asn1-5.0.21
β”‚   └── priv
β”‚       └── lib
β”‚           └── asn1rt_nif.so
β”œβ”€β”€ crypto-5.1.3
β”‚   └── priv
β”‚       └── lib
β”‚           β”œβ”€β”€ crypto_callback.so
β”‚           β”œβ”€β”€ crypto.so
β”‚           └── otp_test_engine.so
└── runtime_tools-1.19
    └── priv
        └── lib
            β”œβ”€β”€ dyntrace.so
            β”œβ”€β”€ trace_file_drv.so
            └── trace_ip_drv.so

And of course those won’t work on different architectures. OTOH, those files seem to be a part of the Erlang distribution itself, so maybe those .so files could overwrite the ones that are in my application’s lib?

Burrito recompiles NIFs for the target architecture using Zig (i.e. Clang). You might take some inspiration from there.