D4no0
I have a few genservers that need to fetch some data from an external resource every 15 minutes. The solution I’m using is just plain Process.send_after/4.
The problem is when it comes to testing.
The way I did it in the past was to make the interval configurable and set it to something like 100ms and check for updates with Process.sleep/1 in tests. This works, however this seems more like a hack to me and slows down tests considerably if you have a lot of tests like this one, not to mention that it makes tests flaky in case the genserver is doing a lot of work.
Is there a better way to do this kind of testing?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Testing things that happen in isolation within an external process can either be polled (sleep) or you make the process inform the test (it sending a message when it did the thing). Your option here really is the latter.
I lately have sometimes gone the way of doing the latter through telemetry. I add a telemetry emit to the thing I’m interested in and in the test add a handler, which sends a message to the test process. I like this one for it being very not a home grown system, not specific to the tested process and also generally being a useful guidance on where telemetry might be useful given I also want to test it.
ausimian
I don’t think your ‘configurable timer’ approach is too bad - why not set it to 1ms?
Other options include calling the genserver callback functions directly from your test process (you have to construct the state parameter yourself), but it rather depends on exactly what you want your tests to demonstrate.
D4no0
Nice idea. I’ve found use-cases where I was finding it hard to test some functionality without breaking encapsulation. The problem is that the telemetry approach suffers from the same synchronization problem, I would ideally love to have some API that would allow processing of send_after instantly in a controlled way.
Setting it to 1ms will result in tests randomly failing. Since the mailbox is always sequentially processed, there is no guarantee that the message will be processed exactly after it was sent.
Not exactly sure what you mean by this, care to show a small example?
mudasobwa
I use
moxfor that.That way you already have a single place to do whatever else while sending a message, like telemetrying it, or writing a log, or something. The testing becomes as easy as defining a mock for it.
D4no0
I like this approach, it might be one of the best out there!
For some reason I am always hesitant about using mocks for anything besides external calls, but in this case it makes perfect sense.
dimitarvp
Do you have a complete example at hand that we can check?
mudasobwa
In
finitomataI mock my own internals to provide a fancy testing framework for the library viaFinitomata. ExUnit. In a nutshell, it implements a listener which sends a message back to the test process, making it possible to simplyassert_receive/2in it.