apr

apr

Hi,

I recently migrated from distillery to mix release. While on distillery, I had setup my release such that I was able to debug the remote production node with observer. After migrating to mix release, I find that whenever I try to connect to the remote node via observer (it shows up in the observer Nodes drop down menu), I get this error: Error occurred on remote node and the following error message in the console: [error] [node: :"production_node@127.0.0.1", call: {:observer_backend, :sys_info, []}, reason: {:badrpc, :nodedown}]

I have all the dependencies installed on the release (observer, wx and runtime_tools), so I am not sure why I am seeing this issue. Furthermore, it is weird that it worked on distillery and is giving me issues now. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

Don’t know the difference.

Few things:

  1. It say production_node@127.0.0.1. Unless you connecting from the same node, or through ssh tunneling this will not work.
  2. Have you set the cookie to the same value on both nodes?

Additionally you don’t need wx and I don’t think you need observer on the production node to run observer remotely.

apr

apr OP

Thanks for replying. I am tunneling via ssh and setting the same cookie in both places. I had the same setup previously when releasing vis Distillery as well when it did work, so it not working when releasing via Mix makes me suspect that maybe I am not packaging some dependency correctly (esp since the remote production node is discoverable locally)

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

Do you get anything in the logs of the production node?

apr

apr OP

I just checked, nothing related to this unfortunately :frowning:

steven7

steven7

I am having an exact same issue while migration from Distillery to Elixir 1.9 Mix Release, I would also appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this.

vfsoraki

vfsoraki

I had the exact same issue. I fixed it but then another problem occurred.
To fix, check

  • You have the following in env.sh[.eex]. Note that using short names won’t work, or I couldn’t get it to work. Use long names.
export RELEASE_DISTRIBUTION=name
export RELEASE_NODE=<%= @release.name %>@127.0.0.1
  • Restrict the port used by node to a specified one, e.g. adding -kernel inet_dist_listen_min 60606 inet_dist_listen_max 60606 to ELIXIR_ERL_OPTIONS in env.sh[.eex].

  • Forward ports like ssh -L 4369:127.0.0.1:4369 -L 60606:127.0.0.1:60606 nodehost. Note you shouldn’t have epmd running in your system, and you have to use the remote one. To make sure you are not running epmd locally, run epmd -kill before opening ssh session.

  • Start IEx shell like iex --hidden --cookie 'yourcookie' --name local@127.0.0.1

Now when I run Node.connect :"distname@127.0.0.1" I get true and nodes connect. But when I do :observer.start locally and select the remote node in Nodes menu, I get the following error:

16:22:06.248 [error] [node: :"distname@127.0.0.1", call: {:observer_backend, :sys_info, []}, reason: {:badrpc, {:EXIT, {:undef, [{:observer_backend, :sys_info, [], []}, {:rpc, :"-handle_call_call/6-fun-0-", 5, [file: 'rpc.erl', line: 197]}]}}}]

Then I found about :runtime_tools which contains :observer_backend. See Troubleshooting in Tracing and observing your remote node « Plataformatec Blog.

After this, it works like a charm!

apr

apr OP

Adding these two lines did the trick! Thanks a lot @vfsoraki :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews