Remove Nerves Lego EV3 Support?

Over the past couple years we’ve had a few cool projects using Nerves on the Lego EV3. Justin and I have kept the EV3 support going even though neither one of us actively uses it anymore. Lately, it seems like no one is using it. It also needs some TLC. I’d love it if someone wanted to take over the task of keeping it synchronized to ev3dev and improve the docs. I’m certainly not going anywhere, and I’d be quite happy to bring someone up to speed on ev3dev and the Nerves support. I just don’t have time to be the primary maintainer any longer.

6 Likes

Update: we’re in the process of removing EV3 support due to lack of interest. By removing, this is really just not updating it and removing references to it from the official docs. I appreciate the comments people have privately made to me on the official systems. While removing support for a platform is sad, it also opens up time for other parts of the project.

5 Likes

Hi, so sad to hear about this decision. I noticed this project a few days ago.

About this project, I have a little advice, could you update the README for the last time? To add some detail tutorials or some detail docs for the beginner :smiley: , to help some people who really want to continue the project.

thanks, :slight_smile:

Btw, I have a plan to learn Erlang, Elixir, Phoenix or Nerves in the next few months (or years, I hope so). :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hello,

How does the ended Nerves/Lego EV3-support relate to what Jean-François Cloutier did here https://jfcloutier.github.io/robotex/ ? )here is a nice talk from Mr. Cloutier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PXas9LtzU )

I ask whether I should try one of the two approaches with my old lego mindstorms ev3. Is any of them still usable?

The ended support only means that the core team (in this case me) was going to stop spending any time on the platform. It doesn’t mean that others can’t. One of the nice things about Nerves is that it can be made to run on a lot of different platforms. Many commercial users don’t run on any of our official supported platforms.

Also, it doesn’t look like Jean-François has updated his Robotex site recently, but I’m almost certain that he’s using the BrickPi in his robot projects and presentations now.

That’s correct. I have replaced the EV3 brick by a RPi 3 + the BrickPi board. My latest talk is here and my repo is Andy. The Robotex post is hopelessly out of date :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great to see you here :slight_smile:

But would I be able to use the old ev3 stuff - are your sources free to use? I still have to check your site entirely.