tnederlof

tnederlof

I have an Event that has_one Number (the schema and migrations are shown simplified below). I can use put_assoc when inserting a number to associate a number with an event. However I would like to be able to disassociate the two (essentially remove the relationship) without deleting the Number or Event (so the number would end up with no event_id). Any ideas would be quite helpful.

defmodule App.Events.Event do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  schema "events" do
    field :description, :string
    field :name, :string
    
    has_one :number, App.Events.Number

    timestamps()
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(event, attrs) do
    required_fields = [:name]
    optional_fields = [:description]

    event
    |> cast(attrs, required_fields ++ optional_fields)
    |> validate_required(required_fields)
  end
end


defmodule App.Repo.Migrations.CreateEvents do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:events) do
      add :name, :string
      add :description, :text

      timestamps()
    end

  end
end




defmodule App.Events.Number do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  schema "numbers" do
    field :description, :string
    field :name, :string
    field :phone_number, :string
  
    belongs_to :event, App.Events.Event
  
    timestamps()
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(number, attrs) do
    required_fields = [:name, :phone_number]
    optional_fields = [:description]

    number
    |> cast(attrs, required_fields ++ optional_fields)
    |> validate_required(required_fields)
  end
end

defmodule App.Repo.Migrations.CreateNumbers do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:numbers) do
      add :name, :string
      add :description, :text
      add :phone_number, :string, null: false
      add :event_id, references(:events, on_delete: :delete_all)

      timestamps()
    end

  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

Would setting the event_id to NULL work?

import Ecto.Query

def disassociate_number_from_event(number_id) do
  App.Events.Number
  |> where(id: ^number_id)
  |> App.Repo.update_all(set: [event_id: nil])
end
tnederlof

tnederlof OP

Yes I think so, I was overthinking it! Thank you for the help.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews