wfgilman

wfgilman

I’m trying to connect to a remote node but the request keeps getting rejected. The error is: “Connection attempt from disallowed node”. I understand this means the cookie is invalid, i.e. doesn’t match the running node.

When I SSH to the remote machine and run cat vm.args I see:

## Name of the node
-name myapp@127.0.0.1

## Cookie for distributed erlang
-setcookie JGpXR9PPNYgMLhMii#3VktVMUAb7dRU3G3VdLsLYXk6t

When I start a session on the remote machine, this cookie shows up as:

$: iex sname will --cookie JGpXR9PPNYgMLhMii#3VktVMUAb7dRU3G3VdLsLYXk6t
Interactive Elixir (1.5.1) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(will@iex_test)1> :erlang.get_cookie()
:"JGpXR9PPNYgMLhMii#3VktVMUAb7dRU3G3VdLsLYXk6t"

No matter how I tried to represent the cookie I get this error: {cookie}, '{cookie}', "{cookie}", :"{cookie}".

I’m deploying the application inside a Docker container. My cookie is exported as an environment variable and I’m wondering if it’s getting set in a different format when grabbed by System.get_env("COOKIE") in the Docker container than when it’s set from the shell.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

wfgilman

wfgilman OP

bump :slight_smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Are you trying to connect remotely, or are you connecting locally over SSH? Remotely is not allowed since it is 127.0.0.1 in this specific example.

wfgilman

wfgilman OP

I’m SSHing into the machine that is running the node and connecting from there.

NobbZ

NobbZ

http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html:

-args_file FileName

[…] A comment begins with a # character and continues until the next end of line character. Backslash (\) is used as quoting character. […]

(emphasis mine)

Please try:

## Cookie for distributed erlang
-setcookie JGpXR9PPNYgMLhMii\#3VktVMUAb7dRU3G3VdLsLYXk6t

Alternatively: Avoid the usage of # and use another cookie :slight_smile:

wfgilman

wfgilman OP

Wow. Yes, my cookie was truncated to the value before the #. I was able to connect just using the value up to that character.

Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews