bahner
I have worked a lot on my myspace_ipfs package and I am ironing out the creases. But learning Elixir and making a package this big was not so smart.
The quality has become OK and I find it good enough to qualify for a smaller namespace name, eg. ex_ipfs.
But it is too big. (And the name is too long). There are just to many tests to be written, so I’ve lost some momentum. I use the core parts myself and find that I like them. So I thought to relaunch the core parts as
ex_ipfs
and then add sub packages like
ex_ipfs_pubsub
ex_ipfs_files
ex_ipfs_swarm
Or something to that effect. How does the community feel about renaming packages (and thus polluting the name space). And what is the general feeling about splitting packages up into smaller parts?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Well, just try to search for
opentelemetryon hex.pm and you’ll see that your example is very tame.In short: that’s absolutely fine, as long as you don’t drown in complexity of project A depending on B depending on C depending on A etc. That’s one type of complexity that kills motivation (and time, and energy).
BartOtten
Sometimes it’s for the better. Especially as it allows other developers to onboard by starting a subpackage/extension.
bahner
Indeed. The Core Module should be the only dependency. I did the opentelemetry search
bahner
And the pubsub for example is experimental and could possibly be made obsolete any day of the week. IPFS itself is a highly volatile target.
Their way of creating a 127.0.0.1:5001 API for the command line app to mostly use is a very good idea. Although sometimes confusing as they confuse what is command line args and what is API args. So things change quickly. But, boy is it fun and exciting.