Render.com for simple deployment

I’ve been looking for a simple way to deploy my apps for quite some time now – I like coding but don’t want to manage servers, complex container orchestration, certificates, etc.

I just found Render, a really nice platform which takes all that hassle from you and makes deployment dead simple. It looks like they’re quite new and just left an invite-only phase, also their docs don’t cover everything yet, but they support Elixir and it works perfectly well.

The only thing I don’t like is that it’s not possible yet to select the hosting region - everything is being hosted in the U.S. Other regions will follow I guess, as well as disk and object storage.

As it hasn’t been shared on the forums yet, I just thought I’d do it :slight_smile:

Here’s the guide for Phoenix deployments: Deploy a Phoenix App with Distillery | Render Docs

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing @zimt28!

Everyone: I’m the founder/CEO of Render. We’re just getting started and would love to get feedback on how we can make Render better for Elixir users. More geo regions are certainly on the way!

19 Likes

Since Render seems to be more general purpose (lots of languages), interested to hear how it compares to Gigalixir (Elixir-focused) for Phoenix apps

cc: @jesse

4 Likes

Hey @jamilabreu, I’ve been meaning to give render a try, but haven’t yet so I’m not sure I can really compare and contrast at the moment. I’ve chatted with @anuragg in the past, though, and it sounds like they’re doing some really cool stuff!

1 Like

Gigalixir is a better choice if you want EPMD clustering support. We’re working on making this possible on Render. I’ll post here when it’s ready!

5 Likes

FYI: Render now supports Elixir 1.9 and clustering. We’re going to update our guides for mix releases shortly and I’ll post here when we do.

14 Likes

Deploying Phoenix with Mix Releases is now available!

Up next: clustering with Mix releases.

7 Likes

Update: our Elixir clustering guide is now available.

12 Likes

Nice! Checking it out now :slight_smile: btw - does Render support hot upgrades?

@anuragg, any news on other regions? I’m primarily interested in hosting in the UK. Thanks.

1 Like

Check this: https://feedback.render.com/features/p/eu-region
The whole feedback.render.com is very useful.

3 Likes

Thanks @stefanluptak.

feedback.render.com is the best place to stay up to date on what’s cooking. If you upvote a feature we’ll automatically notify you when it changes status.

@jamilabreu Render does not support hot upgrades right now. Are you using them in production?

1 Like

Quick feature update for all Elixir users hosting apps on Render. We just released the ability to pin your Elixir and Erlang/OTP versions by simply setting environment variables. Learn more at https://render.com/docs/elixir-erlang-versions.

We now have a dedicated #elixir channel in our user Slack at https://render.com/chat. Would love feedback and feature requests!

8 Likes

Maybe someone here can help me? (@anuragg)
I’d like to move a project form Azure to Render, which worked well so far. I created a disk and mount it to my docker container for storing uploaded files.
But how can I access the disk manually? I need to copy some old files to there.
If I connect to the shell and cd to the mounting directory, nothing seems to be there. I thought i could wget them from there…

You should be able to see the files in the mounted directory when you use the Render shell, but only if your service is up and running. Feel free to email us at support@render.com or use our chat at render.com/chat with details if that’s not the case.

2 Likes

Thanks for answering, so looks like my idea was basically right :slight_smile:
My service is up an running, but now somehow I can’t connect to the Render shell anymore, I wrote that to the support.

Besides this, so far I really like what I saw from Render, it’s super easy to use, and does exactly what I need. I hope to solve the shell issue soon so I can finish migrating to Render :partying_face:

Maybe a nice addittion would be a file browser for the disk?