thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Say I have some external (unsafe) data

unsafe_data = "some unsafe data"

I want to render this using Phoenix.HTML.Tag.content_tag/2

content_tag(:p, "<i>#{unsafe_data}</i>") |> safe_to_string

It will render:

"<p>&lt;i&gt;some unsafe data&lt;/i&gt;</p>"

This will create html entities, so <i> will be literally printed on the screen.
So I can use Phoenix.HTML.raw/1:

content_tag(:p, raw "<i>#{unsafe_data}</i>") |> safe_to_string

However, this should not be secure.

Maybe I have to do the following?

unsafe_data = safe_to_string(html_escape(unsafe_data)) # <- does that make any sense?

content_tag(:p, raw "<i>#{unsafe_data}</i>") |> safe_to_string

Thank you for any help!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

For this particular example, the best would be:

content_tag(:p, content_tag(:i, unsafe_data))

Alternatively you can put it in a list marking the safe parts:

content_tag(:p, [{:safe, "<i>"}, "<omg>", {:safe, "</i>"}])
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can also just use the sigil too:

content_tag(:p, ~E"<i><%= unsafe_data %></i>

Or all of it:

~E"<p><i><%= unsafe_data %></i></p>"
TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

LiveView 0.17.5 – trying to render some unsafe data

unsafe_data = "<p><h2>This is the first post in child marriage.&nbsp;</h2><p>&nbsp;</p><ol><li>Say whatever you want here.&nbsp;</li></ol></p>"

Body: <%= unsafe_data %>

renders as
image

I wish it would render properly. Proper Render should be like following

None of the above approaches, works for me.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

I am trying to guess your intention here. Maybe you want to sanitize the html then render it raw?

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Sanitisation - that might be the first step

but importantly, seeing the html being ‘interpreted’ by the browser and not being printed in raw form as it is in above post.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Phoenix defaults to escape the html to prevent XSS attacks (what if someone embed javascript in the unsafe data?) If you have sanitize it or you have reason to believe that it is clean, just raw/1 it. See the 2 links I cited above.

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

I can raw/1. That must be my first step. But that does not render it properly.

Current render after raw/1 is —

Proper render is – https://forum.elixirforum.com/uploads/default/original/3X/f/a/fa61819915cc5477f65f3e4a5d70a5b49033ddf7.png

How do I render it properly after raw/1?

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Without seeing your code I cannot guess what went wrong.

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

show.html.heex

<h1>Show Post</h1>

<%= if @live_action in [:edit] do %>
  <%= live_modal Lms01Web.PostLive.FormComponent,
    id: @post.id,
    title: @page_title,
    action: @live_action,
    post: @post,
    return_to: Routes.post_show_path(@socket, :show, @post) %>
<% end %>

<ul>
  <li>
    <strong>Title:</strong>
    <%= @post.title %>
  </li>
 

 <%# THIS LINE IS THE PROBLEM %>
 
  <li phx-hook="PostList" data-post={"postbody-#{@post.id}"}>
    <strong>Body:</strong>
    <%= @post.body %>
  </li>

  <li>
    <strong>Published:</strong>
    <%= @post.published %>
  </li>

  <li>
    <strong>Author:</strong>
    <%= @post.author %>
  </li>

  <li>
    <strong>Keywords:</strong>
    <%= @post.keywords %>
  </li>

</ul>

<span><%= live_patch "Edit", to: Routes.post_show_path(@socket, :edit, @post), class: "button" %></span> |
<span><%= live_redirect "Back", to: Routes.post_index_path(@socket, :index) %></span>

@post.body renders the html raw.

How do I get liveview to interpret html and make headings as they should be.

this is how body looks.

Body: is not rendered properly.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

<%= raw(@post.body) %>

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews