Samuel-88

Samuel-88

Hello all,
I hope everyone is doing all right!

A very common task for me is to count the number of entries that match certain criterias.
And I usualy do so by doing the following:

from(o in Organization,
  join: w in Workspace,
  where: o.id == w.org_id)
|> Repo.aggregate(:count)

But recently I took a look at the source code of Ecto to try to understand which option would be better, if it’s to continue to count it that way, or instead:

from(o in Organization,
  join: w in Workspace,
  where: o.id == w.org_id),
  select: count(o.id)

Could someone enlighten me in the differences for the two options and which one should I choose?

Thanks a lot in advance! :smiley:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

03juan

03juan

The only difference seems to be that you are able to choose whether to apply it to an existing query, as your 1st example, or build it in to your query, as your 2nd example.

Ecto.Repo.Queryable.aggregate/4 builds a %SelectQuery{} and updates the query map %{query | select: select}. See in line 486

kartheek

kartheek

Both will generate similar sql:

SELECT count(*) FROM "organization" AS o
  INNER JOIN "workspace" AS w 
  ON TRUE WHERE (o."id" = w."org_id") 

With select: count() query, scope for composing it with queries will be limited. You can compose second query from first.

query = from(o in Organization, join: w in Workspace, where: o.id == w.org_id)
Repo.all(query)
Repo.aggregate(query, :count)
# second query can be composed from first without duplicating
count_query = from(query, select: count())
Repo.one(count_query)

When writing queries in Ecto, i will give preference to composability (else there will be duplication of queries).

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

They are both ultimately implemented the same way: Repo.aggregate ultimately calls Ecto.Repo.Queryable.query_for_aggregate:

This first takes care of a detail: using a LIMIT on a COUNT requires a subquery.

Then it builds an AST equivalent to writing select: count() and replaces any previous select value on the query.

There’s also a head for query_for_aggregate that produces the AST equivalent of select: count(some_field).

Both options exist because they can do different things:

  • Repo.aggregate knows how to deal with limit etc. Building with select: count requires handling that manually
  • select: count supports (where available) the filter syntax
  • select: count can be used as part of a larger structure, for instance:
from(o in Organization,
  left_join: w in Workspace,
  on: w.org_id = o.id
  select: {o.id, count(w.id)},
  group_by: o.id
) |> Repo.all()

which returns a list of {id, count} tuples. Repo.aggregate does not support group_by at all.

Samuel-88

Samuel-88 OP

You are always so helpful! Thanks a lot! I wish you the best

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews