Repo raises Error despite unique_constraint in Changeset

Hello folks,

Today I encountered a strange bug within my project. The regarding project handles github commits and writes them to the database (postgres).

When I do a mix ecto.reset I will drop and recreate the database, followed by an import script that will retrieve the last Github commits. The bug is happening during the last part.

During this route:

defp fetch_and_upsert_commits(opts) do
    try do
      opts |> Github.list_commits() |> Enum.map(&PROJ.Organization.upsert_commit/1)
    rescue
      err in [Ecto.ConstraintError] ->
        # Logger.info(err.message)
        IO.inspect(err, label: "Why is this happening? oO")
    end
  end

the rescue is triggered. The IO.inspect logs

Why is this happening? oO:
%Ecto.ConstraintError{
  constraint: "commits_pkey",
  message: "constraint error when attempting to insert struct:\n\n    * commits_pkey (unique_constraint)\n\nIf you would like to stop this constraint violation from raising an\nexception and instead add it as an error to your changeset, please\ncall `unique_constraint/3` on your changeset with the constraint\n`:name` as an option.\n\nThe changeset defined the following constraints:\n\n    * commits_sha_index (unique_constraint)\n",
  type: :unique
}

The code of PROJ.Organization.upsert_commit/1 is this:

def get_commit(sha), do: Repo.get(Commit, sha)

def upsert_commit(%{sha: sha} = attrs) do
    (get_commit(sha) || %Commit{})
    |> Commit.changeset(attrs)
    |> Repo.insert_or_update()
  end

The schema looks like this:

defmodule PROJ.Organization.Work.Commit.Commit do
  @moduledoc false
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

@primary_key {:sha, :string, []} # I would expect that the same id here already indicates to update that entry instead of creating a new one
  @derive {Phoenix.Param, key: :sha}
  schema "commits" do
    field :author, :string
    field :date_time, :utc_datetime
    field :parents, {:array, :string}
    field :message, :string

embeds_many(:file_changes, PROJ.Organization.Work.Commit.FileChange, on_replace: :delete)

embeds_many(:deployment_infos, PROJ.Organization.Work.Commit.DeploymentInfo,
      on_replace: :delete
    )

embeds_many(:statuses, PROJ.Organization.Work.Commit.Status, on_replace: :delete)

timestamps()
  end

@doc false
  def changeset(commit, attrs) do
    commit
    |> cast(attrs, [:sha, :author, :date_time, :parents, :message])
    |> cast_embed(:file_changes)
    |> cast_embed(:deployment_infos)
    |> cast_embed(:statuses)
    |> validate_required([:sha, :author, :date_time, :parents])
    |> validate_length(:parents, min: 1, max: 2)
    |> validate_length(:file_changes, min: 1)
    |> unique_constraint(:sha) #in my opinion this should enforce an validation error tuple
  end
end

To give you all the info on my problem, this is the migration regarding that table:

defmodule PROJ.Repo.Migrations.CreateCommits do
  use Ecto.Migration

def change do
    create table(:commits, primary_key: false) do
      add :sha, :string, primary_key: true
      add :author, :string
      add :file_changes, :map
      add :date_time, :utc_datetime
      add :statuses, :map
      add :deployment_infos, :map
      add :parents, {:array, :string}

timestamps()
    end

create unique_index(:commits, [:sha])
  end
end

What should happen in my opinion:
The repo should understand, that this is something to update, not something to insert. And if that does not work, it should at least mark the changeset as invalid, because it violates they unique_constraint. Somewho my stuff avoids both these cases :sweat_smile:.

Of course I could keep that try ... rescue as a work around, but that is stupid and I do want to understand what goes wrong here or more precise: Where am I wrong?

So any guesses? :slight_smile:

The constraint that is blowing up is commits_pkey not commits_sha. This is to say, you’re trying to insert a struct that already has an ID, and that ID already exists in the database. That’s definitely weird, since you’re using Repo.insert or update, but that’s why your |> unique_constraint isn’t helping.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s why ^^. You probably don’t want to do that. If you do want to do that, you dont’ need to add your own unique index, primary keys are provided with a unique index anyway. You’ll also want to do |> unique_constraint(:sha, name: "commits_pkey")

2 Likes

Thanks @benwilson512,

the code above was not written by me, but by a colleague who is on vacation.

This morning I discovered the culprit for the strange behavior: We have an OBAN client, that does some importing on startup and I was not aware that an mix ecto.reset would let it run, too. That way I had two imports run parallel and that lead to the error.

But I will keep your suggestions in mind and discuss it with my colleague, when he is back.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes