lalo2302

lalo2302

Hi everyone.

I am working on a personal project where I need to represent a horizontal tree in a visual way for a user to interact with it, like shown at FIG. 1.

FIG. 1

I have thought about representing it as a list of lists as it usually goes, but I have this constraints:

  • I need to increase the depth of the tree at user request
  • The content of the new nodes (at depth expansion) depends solely on the leafs of the tree

To do this, I need to know the content of each leaf every time I want to increase its depth, and transversing the lists every time seems unnecessary and expensive. With other programming languages I could store the memory reference of each leaf at creation time, but with elixir this is not possible.

It came to my mind the possibility to make every node a process, having a “tree manager” that stores the PID of the root and the PIDs of each leaf. Leading to interact directly with the leafs at depth expansion without interacting with the rest of the nodes. But my lack of experience doesn’t let me know if this is unnecessary memory usage, seeing that a process uses 338 words when spawned, including a heap of 233 words compared with other data structures.

The tree is not very wide, but can increase its depth at user request. Maybe I can set a limit to change the root of the tree for one closer to the leafs every time the user passes it.

What do you guys think?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I would just represent it as a map of maps, or if you really need efficiency with querying and such then perhaps a :graph (the BEAM comes with a graph module for graph data structures).

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

That might be a good use case to test neo4j.

lalo2302

lalo2302 OP

Any specifics of why maps rather than lists? My concern about this approach is that what’s in the middle of the tree doesn’t matter for the depth expansion, but I trust your advice. I may do a little demo to see it in action.

I am also checking the graph module, thank you very much!

lalo2302

lalo2302 OP

Really interesting, I enjoyed it. I am not interacting or querying the data the graph contains though. It is only for visualization of text information.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Easier to do positional lookup primarily, but there is also the idea that you could encode the path as keys and just flatten the whole tree into a single map (at which point if you need full speed then you could lift that into ETS itself later on). :slight_smile:

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

With FP You can use a [zipper](Zipper (data structure) - Wikipedia to traverse the tree.

@OvermindDL1 could explain what a zipper is much better than I might.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Hehe, I love zippers. Even in a flat encoding you can keep a special data structure to hold a fresh zipper to start iterations from if you need. ^.^

lalo2302

lalo2302 OP

Wow.

but there is also the idea that you could encode the path as keys and just flatten the whole tree into a single map

Didn’t thought about that, thank you a lot for the suggestion. At the beginning I was thinking on creating the tree first, and then transverse it to “draw” it on the browser with dot. But I could draw it on the go and at the same time save the tree as a flat map. So if the user wants to access a node, or expand the tree, I can access directly to its value on the map. :thumbsup:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews