shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello friends, Imagine you want to download a tar file from hex.pm website.

I have this function and do not want to install req hex plugin. as you see I find the "contents.tar.gz" and it is the binary of file.

  @spec download(download_type, pkg) :: okey_return | error_return
  def download(:hex, %{app: app, tag: tag_name}) when not is_nil(tag_name) do
    case build_url("https://repo.hex.pm/tarballs/#{app}-#{tag_name}.tar") do
      %Req.Response{status: 200, body: body} ->
        converted = Map.new(body, fn {key, value} -> {to_string(key), value} end)
        {:ok, converted["contents.tar.gz"]}

      _ ->
        mix_global_err()
    end
  end

And downloader function:

  defp build_url(location) do
    [base_url: location]
    |> Keyword.merge(Application.get_env(:mishka_installer, :downloader_req_options, []))
    |> Keyword.merge(Application.get_env(:mishka_installer, :proxy, []))
    |> Req.request!()
  end

Now I want to mock it, so this is the place I can not be able to fix.

One of my function test is what does not work:

body = [
        {~c"VERSION", "3"},
        {~c"CHECKSUM", "1D5EC32825E5AF1B5CF58933F4C918909BC79E4391EBE2B9315B02705145B18F"},
        {~c"metadata.config", "{<<\"app\">>,<<\"mishka_installer\">>}.\n{<<\"build_tools\">>"},
        {~c"contents.tar.gz", <<31, 139, 8, 0, 0, 0>>}
      ]

      body_iolist_to_binary =
        Enum.reduce(body, "", fn {key, value}, acc -> acc <> "#{key}:#{value}\n" end)
        |> :erlang.iolist_to_binary()

      Req.Test.expect(Downloader, fn conn ->
        conn
        |> Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type("application/octet-stream")
        |> Plug.Conn.send_resp(200, body_iolist_to_binary)
      end)

If I put body directly I have error!! I have no idea how can simulate the hex output.

It should be noted my function works as well, my problem is located in testing this

Thank you in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 9

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

A tar file is not some kind of map, like you’re building here in your test. The body you get from Req has the tar already extracted, which gives you a map (see Req.Steps — req v0.5.0). In your mock you need to build a proper .tar file, e.g. by using :erl_tar.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

I thought about it before, And I send a tar file binary like this

 body = File.read!("mishka_developer_tools-0.1.5.tar")

      Req.Test.expect(Downloader, fn conn ->
        conn
        |> Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type("application/octet-stream")
        |> Plug.Conn.send_resp(200, body)
      end)

# error
     ** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Enumerable not implemented for <<100, 101, 112, 108, 111, 121, 109, 101, 110, 116, 47, 100, 101, 118, 47, 101, 120, 116, 101, 110, 115, 105, 111, 110, 115, 47, 109, 105, 115, 104, 107, 97, 95, 100, 101, 118, 101, 108, 111, 112, 101, 114, 95, 116, 111, 111, 108, 115, 45, 48, ...>> of type BitString. This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Date.Range, File.Stream, Function, GenEvent.Stream, HashDict, HashSet, IO.Stream, Jason.OrderedObject, List, Map, MapSet, Range, Req.Response.Async, Stream
     code: Downloader.download(:hex, %{app: "mishka_installer", tag: "0.0.4"})

but it did not work and the tar output of me is a binary, not same like hex

another code i tested with erl_tar.create

      body = File.read!("mishka_developer_tools-0.1.5.tar")
      {:ok, files} = :erl_tar.extract({:binary, body}, [:memory])

      Req.Test.expect(Downloader, fn conn ->
        conn
        |> Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type("application/octet-stream")
        |> Plug.Conn.send_resp(200, files)
      end)

  1) test Download Mock Test ===> Downloade hex with version (MishkaInstallerTest.Installer.DownloaderTest)
     test/installer/downloader_test.exs:11
     ** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:

       * 1st argument: not an iodata term

     code: Downloader.download(:hex, %{app: "mishka_installer", tag: "0.0.4"})
     stacktrace:
       :erlang.iolist_to_binary(

These are my test i could not be able to send the send_resp

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This looks to be a bug. Tracing in Req it determines tar as format on the real request, but bin for the mocked request – hence no automatic decoding happening. You could work around this by disabling the built in decoding and doing it manually.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Ohh, thank you.

I just put my other test that can be done

      tar_file_path = "deployment/dev/extensions/mishka_developer_tools-0.1.5.tar"
      tar_binary = File.read!("deployment/dev/extensions/mishka_developer_tools-0.1.5.tar")

      Req.Test.expect(Downloader, fn conn ->
        conn
        |> Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type("application/octet-stream")
        |> Plug.Conn.put_resp_header(
          "content-disposition",
          "attachment; filename=\"#{Path.basename(tar_file_path)}\""
        )
        |> Plug.Conn.send_resp(200, tar_binary)
      end)
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

conn
|> Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type("application/octet-stream", nil)
|> Plug.Conn.send_resp(200, body)

This would be another workaround, where the content type won’t define a charset, which I guess in your case makes it match the actual response.

shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

Thank you.

Your code returns ** (Req.ArchiveError) tar unpacking failed: Checksum failed, for now I decode_body: false

It works for now

And my test

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Even if you end up not using req_hex, I’d still consider using hex_core to get more realistic tests. Here is an example:

Mix.install([
  :req,
  :plug,
  :hex_core
])

Req.Test.expect(Downloader, fn conn ->
  {:ok, %{tarball: tarball}} =
    :hex_tarball.create(
      %{
        "name" => "foo",
        "version" => "1.0.0"
      },
      [
        {~c"mix.exs",
         """
         defmodule Foo.MixProject do
           use Mix.Project
           def project do
             [app: :foo, version: "1.0.0"]
           end
         end
         """}
      ]
    )

  conn
  |> Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type("application/octet-stream", nil)
  |> Plug.Conn.send_resp(200, tarball)
end)

Req.get!(url: "/foo.tar", plug: {Req.Test, Downloader})
|> IO.inspect()

Thanks @LostKobrakai for reporting the format detection bug btw. application/octet-stream; charset=utf-8 is not a proper content-type for tar, these bytes are not utf8. I’ll see if I can make any improvements anyway though.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Good point. I didn’t really think about that tbh. So Plug.Conn.put_resp_content_type(conn, "application/octet-stream", nil) is actually the way to go then, not just a workaround.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews