ndan

ndan

I’m trying to understand why this code works for one provider but not for another

[
  url: "https://ip.smartproxy.com/json",
  connect_options: [
    proxy: {:http, "dc.smartproxy.com", 10001, []},
    transport_opts: [verify: :verify_none],
    proxy_headers: [
      {"Proxy-Authorization", "Basic " <> Base.encode64("username:password")}
    ]
  ],
  retry: false
]
|> Req.get()
# {:error, %Req.TransportError{reason: :closed}}

curl works for both providers:

curl -v -U "username:password" -x "dc.smartproxy.com:10001" "https://ip.smartproxy.com/json"

Is there a verbose option for Req similar to curl --verbose?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

entone

entone

I believe the -u option is just prepending the username and password to the url like https://username:password@ip.smartproxy.com/json

Not sure what the Proxy-Authorization header is for, but that’s not present in the curl command. Additionally the -x parameter should be used to declare the http method, which you don’t seem to be doing

harrisi

harrisi

I think you’ve mixed up your casing for -U and -x - which are frustratingly similar for quite different purposes! The problem of highly configurable software.

I’d double check the headers sent with curl. I’m not exactly sure how to log request headers or why this isn’t working, unfortunately.

ndan

ndan OP

curl is correct and working

-U, --proxy-user <user:password>
-x, --proxy [protocol://]host[:port]

Elixir code works with Brightdata but does not function with the Smartproxy provider. While both providers work via curl

The question is how to debug such problems? Is there a way to print debug logs like curl -v does?

❯ curl -v -U "username:password" -x "brd.superproxy.io:1234" "https://geo.brdtest.com/welcome.txt?product=dc&method=native"
* Host brd.superproxy.io:1234 was resolved.
* IPv6: (none)
* IPv4: 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5
*   Trying 1.2.3.4:1234...
* Connected to brd.superproxy.io (1.2.3.4) port 1234
* CONNECT tunnel: HTTP/1.1 negotiated
* allocate connect buffer
* Proxy auth using Basic with user 'username'
* Establish HTTP proxy tunnel to geo.brdtest.com:443
> CONNECT geo.brdtest.com:443 HTTP/1.1
> Host: geo.brdtest.com:443
> Proxy-Authorization: Basic <base64-encoded-username-and-password>
> User-Agent: curl/8.7.1
> Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< x-luminati-ip: 136.227.174.143
...
ndan

ndan OP

I fixed it by passing protocols: [:http2] to the connect_options.

Here is the working version:

[
  url: "https://ip.smartproxy.com/json",
  connect_options: [
    proxy: {:http, "dc.smartproxy.com", 1234, []},
    protocols: [:http2],
    transport_opts: [verify: :verify_none],
    proxy_headers: [
      {"Proxy-Authorization", "Basic " <> Base.encode64("username:password")}
    ]
  ],
  retry: false
]
|> Req.get()

But I’m still not sure how to debug similar problems.

entone

entone

My bad, I did not see those options when I checked my curl version, I just assumed the casing was incorrect.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews