michaeljones

michaeljones

Hi, this is the first thing I’ve written with live view (and I don’t have much experience with Elixir/Phoenix in general though I’ve been programming for >10 years at this point so I have some other experience.)

I was hoping for a general code review if anyone has any comments plus some direction on whether the thing I’m doing with changesets and their actions & errors in the middle is somehow correct (feels like it can’t be) or if there is another approach I should be taking?

I’ve mostly been programming Elm for the last few years so all the Maybe, push_first & no_reply stuff is trying to resurrect some of that experience. Happy to be advised against it but it feels ok for me, right now.

defmodule OneBlockWeb.SignupLive do
  use Phoenix.LiveView

  import Phoenix.HTML.Form
  import OneBlockWeb.ErrorHelpers

  alias Phauxth.Log

  alias OneBlockWeb.{Auth.Token, Email}
  alias OneBlockWeb.Router.Helpers, as: Routes

  alias OneBlock.Accounts.SignupUser
  alias OneBlock.Building
  alias OneBlock.Flat

  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
    <h2>Sign Up</h2>
    <%= form_for @changeset, "", [phx_change: :change, phx_submit: :submit, class: "standard-form", as: "form"], fn f -> %>
      <%= if @changeset.action do %>
        <div class="alert alert-danger">
          Something went wrong. Please check the errors below.
        </div>
      <% end %>

      <div>
      <%= label f, :email %>
      <%= text_input f, :email %>
      <%= error_tag f, :email %>
      </div>

      <div>
      <%= label f, :display_name, "Your Name" %>
      <%= text_input f, :display_name %>
      <%= error_tag f, :display_name %>
      </div>

      <div>
        <%= label f, :password %>
        <%= password_input f, :password, value: input_value(f, :password) %>
        <%= error_tag f, :password %>
      </div>

      <div>
        <%= label f, :confirm_password %>
        <%= password_input f, :confirm_password, value: input_value(f, :confirm_password) %>
        <%= error_tag f, :confirm_password %>
      </div>

      <div>
        <%= label f, :building_id %>
        <%= select f, :building_id, @building_options %>
        <%= error_tag f, :building_id %>
      </div>

      <%= if (@changeset.changes[:building_id] != nil) && @flat_options != nil do %>
        <div>
          <%= label f, :flat_id %>
          <%= select f, :flat_id, @flat_options %>
          <%= error_tag f, :flat_id %>
        </div>

        <div>
          <%= label f, :status, "Ownership/Tenacy" %>
          <%= select f, :status, @status_options %>
          <%= error_tag f, :status %>
        </div>
      <% end %>

      <div>
        <%= submit "Save" %>
      </div>
    <% end %>
    """
  end

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    changeset = SignupUser.changeset(%SignupUser{}, %{})

    building_options =
      Building.all()
      |> Enum.map(&{&1.name, &1.id})
      |> OneBlock.List.push_first({"Select your building", ""})

    status_options =
      SignupUser.status_options()
      |> OneBlock.List.push_first({"Select your status", ""})

    socket =
      socket
      |> assign(:changeset, changeset)
      |> assign(:building_options, building_options)
      |> assign(:flat_options, nil)
      |> assign(:status_options, status_options)

    {:ok, socket}
  end

  def handle_event("change", %{"_target" => target, "form" => form}, socket) do
    socket =
      case target do
        ["form", "building_id"] ->
          flat_options =
            form["building_id"]
            |> Maybe.from_string()
            |> Maybe.map(&Flat.get_by_building(&1))
            |> Maybe.map(fn list ->
              Enum.sort_by(list, &OneBlock.Sort.number_first(&1.name), :asc)
            end)
            |> Maybe.map(fn list -> Enum.map(list, &{&1.name, &1.id}) end)
            |> Maybe.map(&OneBlock.List.push_first(&1, {"Select your flat", ""}))
            |> Maybe.with_default(nil)

          assign(socket, :flat_options, flat_options)

        _ ->
          socket
      end

    fresh_changeset = SignupUser.changeset(%SignupUser{}, form)

    # Assign the action & errors from the previous changeset state to the new
    # changeset. We want the new changeset to have the latest values from the
    # form but the previous errors so that the errors stick around after
    # someone has clicked 'submit' and then starts typing in fields
    changeset = %{
      fresh_changeset
      | action: socket.assigns.changeset.action,
        errors: socket.assigns.changeset.errors
    }

    {:noreply, assign(socket, :changeset, changeset)}
  end

  def handle_event("submit", %{"form" => form}, socket) do
    changeset = SignupUser.changeset(%SignupUser{}, form)

    case SignupUser.create(changeset) do
      {:ok, user, account} ->
        Log.info(%Log{user: user.id, message: "user created"})

        key = Token.sign(%{"email" => account.email})
        Email.confirm_request(account.email, Routes.confirm_url(socket, :index, key: key))

        socket
        |> put_flash(:info, "Sign up successful! Please check for a confirmation email.")
        |> redirect(to: Routes.page_path(socket, :index))
        |> OneBlock.GenServer.no_reply()

      {:error, %Ecto.Changeset{} = changeset} ->
        socket
        |> assign(:changeset, changeset)
        |> OneBlock.GenServer.no_reply()
    end
  end
end

Any help would be much appreciated.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews