pwightman

pwightman

Context: I have a multi-step form (10+ steps) made in LiveView (Surface, technically, but I think this question is not Surface-specific). Each step contains some form inputs, on submission the data is validated, saved to the DB, then state in the LiveView is updated to show the next step (user remains at the same URL for each step).

Everything works great for the first rendered step, form errors show when the user has filled something out wrong, but not until they’ve entered something in the field.

My problem is that subsequent steps have their errors showing immediately. I know this has to do with phx-no-feedback, which as far as I can tell is a stateful thing handled on the client and I don’t see how I can tell it to “reset” back to a clean state.

I have worked around this by doing a push_redirect to the same URL, causing the liveview to remount on each step, however this means I can no longer easily send push_events because it’s swallowed by the redirect. I’d like to just fix the core issue of form errors showing up when I don’t want them to.

push_patch to a new URL for each step (which I don’t want to do) such as forms/:id?step=:step_id also has the same behavior (pictured below).

Any ideas/workarounds?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Are the steps all one form? I’d probably suggest using separate forms. But you can also “reset” a form by updating its id attribute.

pwightman

pwightman OP

Each step is using the same custom form wrapper component, which uses the same hard-coded id. Changing the id per step totally worked! Thank you!

KP123

KP123

Is ID updating the best method for resetting forms in July 2024? I have a form that’s always visible and needs to be reset after submit and there are a number of proposed methods for how this could best be done:

  1. don’t use forms. Just map form input to LV assigns and update assigns on change and submit
  2. Use a Phx hook to reset the fields in JS after receiving an event from the server
  3. update the ID of the form. This requires me to track the ID of the form somewhere so that I can reuse it on updates but ensure it’s changed on submits
  4. Use a button[type=reset] and do my submission validations in the reset handler. But then there’s a flash of empty form → previous form with errors when submission fails

It would be nice if we could set changeset actions to :reset or some other convenience since same page form resetting is a pretty common task.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews