thbar
Hi!
A part of my ETL/data-pipelining work involves dealing with input files whose size can reach 1 to 2 GB in size (compressed).
When working with Ruby, I usually shell out to tools like axel to handle the download in a way that can be resumed, should a disconnection occur, or even accelerated, if the source server is doing some throttling in a way or another.
To your knowledge, is there an already built solution to achieve that in Elixir or Erlang?
Solutions I’m considering:
- Shelling out to Axel using Porcelain (but porcelain has issues apparently)
- Implementing a resumable download manager myself on top of an existing Elixir HTTP library
- Wrapping a Rust download manager such as zou with e.g. rustler
If anyone dived into this topic, your feedback is most welcome!
– Thibaut
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
For resumable downloads, I’d think it could be done with most http clients with a bit of work. For example, with httpoison, you’d write the stream of bytes (
stream_to: self()option) to a temporary file and only “save” it (move the temporary file to a “permanent” location similarly to howPlug.Uploadworks) once the download is complete. If there is already a temporary file when a download process starts, it would read it, calculate the “offset” needed for the range header, and only download what it needs to.For accelerated downloads, you’d need to split the file into chunks of some configurable size and download each with the “resumable” downloader described above, then
catthem into a single file at the final destination …This is what I’d try before reaching out to rust or porcelain.
Zesky665
You can just use a Task to run a cli app(using System.cmd\3) to do the same thing.