Andres

Andres

Hello.
I’m trying to check if a list has duplicates.
I didn’t have problems doing it with length and size:

def duplicate(list) do
    a = length(list)
    b = MapSet.size(MapSet.new(list))
    a !== b
end

I also did it with Enum and pattern matching but I’m pretty sure there is a better way:

defmodule Checker do
    def check(x) when is_boolean(x), do: x
    def check(x), do: false
end

def main(list) do
    list
    |> Enum.reduce_while(%MapSet{}, fn x, acc ->
      if x not in acc, do: {:cont, MapSet.put(acc, x)}, else: {:halt, true}
    end)
    |> Checker.check()
end

Could you help me to improve the last implementation in a more idiomatic way?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 14 to 5

silverdr

silverdr

Alternatively (ab)using (instead of repurposing) the implementation of Enum.uniq/1

!Enum.empty?(list -- Enum.uniq(list))

?

Probably wouldn’t use it for huuge lists though :wink:

mayel

mayel

Found this useful and adapted it to be able to use a function to compare elements:

  def has_duplicates?(list, fun \\ nil),
    do: check_has_duplicates?(list, %{}, fun || fn x -> x end)
  
  defp check_has_duplicates?([], _, _) do
    false
  end

  defp check_has_duplicates?([head|tail], set, fun) do
    value = fun.(head)

    case set do
      %{^value => true} ->
        true
      _ ->
        check_has_duplicates?(tail, Map.put(set, value, true), fun)
    end
  end
Andres

Andres OP

This is amazing!

defmodule Demo do
  def duplicates?(list),
    do: duplicates?(list, %{})

  defp duplicates?([], _) do
    false
  end

  defp duplicates?([head|tail], set) do
    case set do
      %{^head => true} ->
        true
      _ ->
        duplicates?(tail, Map.put(set, head, true))
    end
  end

  def run(list) do
    list
    |> duplicates?()
    |> inspect()
    |> IO.puts()
  end
end

Thanks so much @peerreynders

peerreynders

peerreynders

Alternately shamelessly repurposing the implementation (uniq_list/3) of Enum.uniq/1:

defmodule Demo do
  def duplicates?(list),
    do: duplicates?(list, %{})

  defp duplicates?([], _) do
    false
  end

  defp duplicates?([head|tail], set) do
    case set do
      %{^head => true} ->
        true
      _ ->
        duplicates?(tail, Map.put(set, head, true))
    end
  end

  def run(list) do
    list
    |> duplicates?()
    |> inspect()
    |> IO.puts()
  end
end

list = [1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1]
uniq_list = Enum.uniq(list)
Demo.run(list)      # true
Demo.run(uniq_list) # false

A lot can be learned by scouring through Elixir’s source code. The important thing is to understand how it works.

Andres

Andres OP

Beautiful @alexiss

def has_duplicates?(list) do
  list
  |> Enum.reduce_while(%MapSet{}, fn x, acc ->
    if MapSet.member?(acc, x), do: {:halt, false}, else: {:cont, MapSet.put(acc, x)}
  end)
  |> is_boolean()
end

I learned so much!
Thanks so much @NobbZ and @alexiss!

Andres

Andres OP

Hi @NobbZ
Thanks so much for your help.

alexiss

alexiss

Agree, I miss it. The final proposal whould be:

def has_duplicates?(list) do
  list
  |> Enum.reduce_while(%MapSet{}, fn x, acc ->
    if MapSet.member?(acc, x), do: {:halt, false}, else: {:cont, MapSet.put(acc, x)}
  end)
  |> is_boolean()
end
NobbZ

NobbZ

But reducing and finding the elements in a list again results in a runtime of O(n log n), using a MapSet is O(n).

Andres

Andres OP

Thanks so much @alexiss.
I really liked:

if x in acc, do: {:halt, 0}, else: {:cont, [x | acc]}

and

|> is_integer()

I changed my code like this:

def has_duplicates?(list) do
    list
    |> Enum.reduce_while([], fn x, acc ->
      if x in acc, do: {:halt, false}, else: {:cont, [x | acc]}
    end)
    |> is_boolean()
  end

Thanks so much for your help and ideas!

Andres

Andres OP

Hi @l00ker
Very nice one liner!
Thanks so much!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews