tbk

tbk

I have a function with a condition:

  def iteraterefs(divisor, number, table, out, i) when number >= divisor do
    number = number - divisor
    out = out <> elem(table, i)
  end

However it seems that the compiler does not like the condition when number >= divisor do, is there something about reuse of function variables I am missing from the documentation?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hi @tbk the code you show looks valid to me. Can you show the actual error you get?

tbk

tbk OP

I am using the Exercism practice platform which attempts to test the code

 ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in RomanNumerals.iteraterefs/5
...
Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):

         def iteraterefs(divisor, number, table, out, i) when number >= divisor

In the above number >= divisor has red text highlighting. The function is being called in a Enum.each like this:

    Enum.each(refs, fn(divisor) -> 
      iteraterefs(divisor, number, table, out, i)
      i = i + 1
    end)

And is defined as:

  def iteraterefs(divisor, number, table, out, i) when number >= divisor do
    number = number - divisor
    out = out <> elem(table, i)
  end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

FunctionClauseError is what I’d expect from iteraterefs if it was called with number < divisor. You likely need to define it for those inputs as well to pass Exercism’s tests.

General note: this isn’t going to do what you want. i = i + 1 rebinds the name i inside the do / end block but that value doesn’t escape or even make it to the next iteration.

Same thing for out = out <> elem(table, i) inside iteraterefs; the name out is bound to a new name but then the scope ends immediately.

My recommendation would be to forget completely about Enum.each for a little while; it is almost never the right solution in Elixir.

tbk

tbk OP

Isn’t the solution to variable scope to pin the variables?

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Pinning variables only performs a match, it doesn’t create a binding. You aren’t actually doing any pinning in your example so I’m not quite sure how you are picturing it would work but, for example, this doesn’t work:

foo = 1
^foo = 1 + 1 # This is a match error

^foo = 1 + 1 gets expanded to 1 = 2 which, of course, does not match.

If you want to accumulate a variable the most basic ways to are either recursion or Enum.reduce.

tbk

tbk OP

I was imagining something like foo = ^foo + 1 which would reference the variable in the outer scope. Or is foo destroyed when it leave scope?

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Yes, it is. It’s a bit confusing terminology-wise since we do say we can re-bind variables but really it might be easier to think of as you are only reusing the names. It doesn’t affect any outer scopes.

The pin operator can only be used on the lefthand side of a match. The only reason it exists is due to being able to reuse variable names. In Erlang, this isn’t a problem since you are not allow to re-use them.

# Elixir
foo = 1
^foo = 1 # match
foo = 2 # foo is now 2!

% Erlang
Foo = 1.
Foo = 1. % match
Foo = 2. % match error!
tbk

tbk OP

It was my reading of those examples from the docs to interpret the ^ as something like a “type/value checked deference”.

Forging ahead, ignoring what I was told about the scope of out, I’ve restructured my code in a recursive manner.

  def iteraterefs(number, refs, table, out, i) when number > 0 do
    reducenumber(elem(refs, i), number, elem(table, i), out)
    iteraterefs(number, refs, table, out, i + 1)
  end

  def reducenumber(divisor, number, symbol, out) when number >= divisor do
    number = number - divisor
    out = out <> symbol
  end

The compiler parses iteraterefs and produces:

     ** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:

       * 2nd argument: not a tuple

Is this an interaction with the elem(refs, i) call? Here is the refs I constructed by hand:

refs = [1000, 900, 500, 400, 100, 90, 50, 40, 10, 9, 5, 4, 1]
sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Sorry, my example may have been a bit confusing. The out = out <> symbol isn’t doing anything other than assigning out <> symbol to out then throwing it away. You can rebind variable from outer scope.

foo = "bar"
if true do
  foo = "bazzzz"
end
foo # This is still "bar"

You can reference an outer scope, but you can’t re-bind.

tbk

tbk OP

This I understand from your explanation I was just attempting to address getting the function iteraterefs to compile with inputs. I’ll worry about variable assignment after that.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews