Andres

Andres

Hello.

Trying to reverse an integer regardless of its sign I wrote the following algorithm:

int = -123456789 #=> Expected result -987654321

def minus_one(int) do
    int * -1
end

def sign(int) when int > 0 do
    int
    |> Integer.to_string()
    |> String.reverse()
    |> String.to_integer()
end

def sign(int) do
    int
    |> Integer.to_string()
    |> String.replace("-", "")
    |> String.reverse()
    |> String.to_integer()
    |> minus_one()
end

def reverse_integer(int) do
    sign(int)
end

Is there a native way to get the sign of a number? like :math.sign()

Any suggestions to improve the algorithm is welcome.

Thanks.

Showing Posts 13 to 4

Andres

Andres OP

Thank you very much for clarifying it.

Eiji

Eiji

Originally I noticed this on other data too, but I found that it is not a problem in this specific case, because as far as I know Integer.digits/1 will never return list like [1, -2, 3].

There is nothing surprising with 83 as result, because we have: (3 * 10^0) + (-2 * 10^1) + (1 * 10^2) i.e. (3 * 1) + (-2 * 10) + (1 * 100) i.e. 3 - 20 + 100 which gives 83.

Andres

Andres OP

Hi @NobbZ
Thanks so much for sharing.

Andres

Andres OP

 -123_456_789
    |> Integer.digits() # => [-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7, -8, -9]
    |> Enum.reverse() # => [-9, -8, -7, -6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1]
    |> Integer.undigits() # => -987654321

But:

Integer.undigits([1, -2, 3]) # => 83

This seems a very good topic of conversation.

Eiji

Eiji

Ah right, my bad - I have edited my first post

Andres

Andres OP

Hello @Ted

:exploding_head:, Super nice! :smiley:
I didn’t know that was possible. I’m learning so much, thanks for sharing.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Why converting to a string at all?

Just do the maths:

defmodule DR do
  def r(n), do: r(n, 0)

  def r(0, x), do: x
  def r(n, x), do: r(div(n, 10), x * 10 + rem(n, 10))
end
Andres

Andres OP

Hello @LostKobrakai

Super nice patter matching idea :smiley:

Yes! :smiley:

I’m learning so much, thanks for sharing.

Ted

Ted

Wow, that is clean! :exploding_head:

I’m curious about the reason for two function heads because it seems like the first head works for both positive and negative:

iex(7)> 123 |> Integer.digits() |> Enum.reverse() |> Integer.undigits()    
321
iex(8)> -123 |> Integer.digits() |> Enum.reverse() |> Integer.undigits()
-321
Eiji

Eiji

@Andres: I can see much simpler way:

defmodule Example do
  def sample(integer) when is_integer(integer) do
    integer |> Integer.digits() |> Enum.reverse() |> Integer.undigits()
  end
end

Is that what you wanted?

Edit: Code changed after @Ted comment

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews