stephanos
Hi everyone,
I wanted to share rewire with you, a dependency injection library I’ve been working on over the last few weeks. It aims to keep your production code free from testing concerns, works with async tests and any mock.
Example
Given a module such as this:
# this module has a hard-wired dependency on the `English` module
defmodule Conversation do
def start(), do: English.greet()
end
If you define a mox mock EnglishMock you can rewire the dependency in your unit test:
defmodule MyTest do
use ExUnit.Case
use Rewire # (1) activate `rewire`
import Mox
rewire Conversation, English: EnglishMock # (2) rewire `English` to `EnglishMock`
test "start/0" do
stub(EnglishMock, :greet, fn -> "g'day" end)
assert Conversation.start() == "g'day" # (3) test using the mock
end
end
Check out all the details at:
https://github.com/stephanos/rewire
And let me know what you think!
Trending in Announcing
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub.
Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
New
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Looks nice except one thing - why use
useinstead just plainimport? It should work without problems.marcin
That’s cool! I’ve been struggling in how to organise a callback mechanism (eg. after creating the record send an email and also generate a receipt), but keep it decoupled enough to be able to test well.
Rewire could help here! Will check it out.
edisonywh
Very interesting. Since it works by aliasing, does that mean it can only be used for unit testing the module directly? For example, if I have a module called
Discord, andDiscordcallsConversation.start/0, there’s no way to rewire theEnglishreference, is that right?hauleth
From what I see in the code - yes, it works only for modules called directly.
stephanos
you’re absolutely right! I originally had some compiler hooks in there to update the module attributes but never went back to
requireafter I realized I didn’t need that.Just updated the docs and shipped a new version to reflect that.
stephanos
actually, you could stack them:
You can find a working test case here: rewire/test/rewire_alias_test.exs at master · stephanos/rewire · GitHub
But I’m not sure whether that’s a good testing etiquette. Reaching deeply into module’s might be a smell, depending on the use case.
ruhshan
Hi, very cool!
Is there any way to use it with like… where I declare dependency using compile_env
For example:
hauleth
It should work just fine if you will mock module that is defined as comp-time config.