Rich - senior developer and editor

After programming computers for fifty years, I still enjoy creating clean, readable code. Elixir and Phoenix are my choices for web development, but I frequently use Ruby for smaller scripts. A prototype version of my current project (Pete’s Alley) is available online:

I’ve also done a lot of writing, editing, and documentation review. For example, I reviewed and (lightly) edited the UNIX “man pages” for Apple’s initial release of Mac OS X. I also developed a mechanized documentation suite for the Flight Software on the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope’s Large Area Telescope. My writing has been published in MacTech, SunExpert, and Unix Review, along with several software collections I created for Prime Time Freeware.

I’m available for short term and part time assignments, doing design, development, and documentation. Although I strongly prefer to work remotely, I’m happy to attend meetings in the SF Bay Area and (occasionally) elsewhere.

If you need a seasoned developer and wordsmith to help on your project, I’d be delighted to talk to you. The best way to reach me is by email (rdm@cfcl.com, r.d.morin@gmail.com).

8 Likes

Tasks such as code clean-up, documentation, and refactoring are important, but not urgent. Consequently, they are commonly pushed aside, in favor of adding features and fixing critical bugs. The resulting build-up of technical debt is annoying and may even impair ongoing development.

If your project has these sorts of issues, please consider contacting me for (paid) assistance. I am particularly interested in helping out with tasks such as:

• adding typespecs and pacifying dialyzer
  • documenting key algorithms and data structures
  • documenting system architecture and interaction