beno
I am trying to get AWS authentication (for S3) working for a company AWS environment that relies heavily on IAM roles. This has to be one of the least transparent/most confusing things I have encountered for a long while, and I can’t find a fully configured working example.
Questions:
- Am I correct in thinking the AccessDenied I currently get with standard KEY/SECRET is due to the different role I have when creating S3 buckets?
- How do I retrieve my
role_arnand how does this fit in to the ex_aws config? - What is my
profile_nameand where does this come from? - Is there a working example somewhere I can take a look at?
Hopefully someone has this working
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
For me it worked OOtB, so it seems that IAM role assigned to that machine do not allow for accessing that S3 bucket.
beno
Care to share how you set up your configuration? Where does the
role_arngo?hauleth
Nowhere, role is assigned to the machine, not to application. So in the end anything that is running on that particular machine can access given S3 bucket.
benwilson512
I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble. ExAws is completely compatible with and thus to some extent assumes a familiarity with the general AWS authorization mechanics. As a general rule, if you can get the configuration working with the aws cli it will also work fine with ExAws.
Concretely, in order to have key based authentication you need an AWS user. This is not the same thing as a role. However you can have a user assume a role when taking on actions provided that the role has a trust association with the user that allows the user to assume the role:
beno
Thanks for chiming in, I have made some progress and got it working to an extent. Reasons for confusion:
STS.assume_roleworks, I believe a name likefetch_role_credentialswould be more apt, since as far as I can tell it is fully up to developers to use/cache/refresh/propagate these temporary credentials.assume_rolesuggests some stateful (shudder) change that applies to subsequent requests. I stumbled on this and found it very helpful, maybe link to it from the README?ex_aws_sts, there is aawscli_auth_adapter: ExAws.STS.AuthCache.AssumeRoleCredentialsProviderin master and READMIE that is not in the 2.0 release.stavro/arc, which rely solely on the fixed, hard coded credentials from aws_ex config, so I don’t think IAM roles can be used with those tools (I have created an issue forarc)Again, thanks for your input, any further help is equally appreciated.
nubunto
I’m having issues with exactly that as well.
I have the following dependencies on my
mix.exs:I have configuration like this (per the
ex_awsREADME):In my
~/.aws/configfile I have thefoo-devas a valid profile.But when trying to, say, receive messages via SQS:
Turns out that the queue URL is actually wrong (in the AWS dashboard the URL is
https://sqs.sa-east-1.amazonaws.com/ROLE_ACCOUNT_ID/MY_QUEUE)But still getting the {:error, :closed} from
hackneywhich I suspect should be a different issue.Any help would be appreciated