travisf

travisf

I have a record where users can provide an optional slug which is a unique_index to provide a friendly name for the URL, how can I go about using this slug if it’s defined otherwise falling back to the resource’s UUID?

live "/records/:id", RecordsLive.Show

IE: live/records/slug-is-defined or live/records//77?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @travisf you’d simply do something like instead of:

Thing |> where([t], t.id == ^params.id) |> Repo.one

you

Thing |> where([t], t.id == ^params.id or t.slug == ^params.id) |> Repo.one
ibarch

ibarch

Ecto will likely raise an error if you try to cast a plain string as UUID so I suggest to determine the datatype on the application level:

live "/records/:opaque_id", RecordsLive.Show

def get_record(opaque_id) do
  Record
  |> where(^opaque_id_to_query(opaque_id))
  |> Repo.one()
end

defp opaque_id_to_query(opaque_id) do
  cond do
    match?({_, ""}, Integer.parse(opaque_id)) -> [id: opaque_id]
    match?({:ok, _}, Ecto.UUID.cast(opaque_id)) -> [uuid: opaque_id]
    true -> [slug: opaque_id]
  end
end
sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Maybe my understanding is off but doesn’t using or on different fields cause index not to be used for the second field? Would it not be faster to do a lookup on one then the other?

Repo.get(Thing, id: slug_or_id) || Repo.get(Thing, slug: slug_or_id)

Or does Ecto optimize this?

csadewa

csadewa

Not necessarily, using or on different field with index usually result in query optimizer combine these two different index in bitwise or operation. Usually it’s not faster to do lookup one then the other because it cause two DB request network latency.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Oh interesting. What my my old colleague going on about then? lol. I tried an explain with an OR on the same column and it still gave me a sequence scan, so I guess I don’t understand like I thought I did and I have some more RTFMing to do.

travisf

travisf OP

Ah, so you’d recommend implementing get_record/1 when the record is saved/updated and then using that field as the param in the route?

travisf

travisf OP

This makes sense, but how does that translate into the route? Like if I had a list of Things what would I put in the Routes.live_path/3 as a param?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Can you elaborate what you mean? Are you trying to have a route that contains many ids / slugs ? Or a list of different links each with its own id / slug ?

travisf

travisf OP

Sorry that wasn’t clear, I was just unsure of how your solution would translate into Routes.live_path(@socket, MyAppWeb.ThingsLive.Show, ??) that’s where I was confused if either the id or the slug would work as a param there.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Have a look at Phoenix.Param. You could do something like:

defimpl Phoenix.Param, for: YourApp.SomeContext.SomeSchema do
  def to_param(schema) do
    Map.get(schema, :slug, schema.id)
  end
end

To offer some unsolicited advice, I think it’ll be far less of a headache in the future if you make slugs non-nullable fields and auto-generate them based off of some other field as to not force users to specify one. Take it or leave it, of course!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews